Laplander Saw....very cheap? ? ? ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Guys,

I was just on Amazon Uk looking up a Nessmuk book for another thread and saw an advert for their new DIY stores.....it had laplander saws for £17.....looking around other places, Woodlore for one, this seems quite cheap....

Is that a good price and is it the same as the one woodlore sell or a different model?

I was quite suprised to see it on Amazon and even a advert after I looked up Woodcraft! Fair play to Amazon!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001IX7OW/ref=pd_ecs_hi_b_a/026-8091843-3428434

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
That is a very good price!

It is the saw also sold by Woodlore.

A spare blade is £15.99 in my local garden centre.

Dave

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
If it's the same then Woodlore have it up at £30 but other traders do it cheaper, I know of one place that does it for £23approx which is a much fairer price.

Thing is....if you buy it from Amazon you only need to spend an extra £2 to get free delivery from them.....so buy a bushcraft book too! :eek:):

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I hate to tell you but I got mine on offer from the garden centre for £15.00, bundled with a good pair of secateurs, which went nicely as a sweetener for my wife! I like the opange handle better, having nearly lost one of Ray's in the grass when on my course (please don't tell anyone :wink: )

Dave

jakunen

Native
That's why I went for the orange Barco.

Gary's green ones don't show up so well in dim light when you forget exactly where you put it. I was looking everywhere for it when I'd put it at the base of the log I was sitting on. It was literally right at my feet...:oops: :oops: :oops:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yer....I saw that too....sneaky way to add P&P.

Actually I'm happy with my Gerber saw.....comes in it's own pouch with a spare corse blade with it and I have added two extra normal spares blades (Not that I've broken any yet but hey....why carry 1 when you can carry 4... :?: )

Only posted coz I thought a few of you might be interested :lol:

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Picked up an orange one for £14 from Mole Valley Farmers. They also have the cheapist booze around :eek:):

Ronin

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2004
Penzance, Cornwall
Bagged a bargian on this one just before Xmas. Picked up a Laplander and Rays Ess. Bushcraft plus a Fungi field guide for a bargain £22.00 :eek:):

Chuffed to bits....

Dont know if the offer is still on, cant find the link on Amazon. Shoulda bookmarked it. :?:

Sean.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
£17 from amazon IS a good price compared to what most of us can get it for - esp doing the book trick to get postage free.

Someone posted about this deal maybe 3 months ago so I bought one then. Locally I rarely see them and never below £25. There was about 3 weeks wait for delivery. Amazon are adding all sorts of new product lines in which they've no history so it's only to be expected that there won't be stock sat in their warehouses. The supply chain back to the manufacturers etc will be slow until the word gets round and amazon start handling non-book products in quantity.

Laplander vs the other Bahco models has been discussed thoroughly in previous posts. Try the search :biggthump

Quality is the same throughout. The conclusion was that the blade of the laplander model is more general purpose than the others, slightly tougher and therfore better for bushcraft. Other tooth forms are better for speed / clean cut in green wood but a little less robust. We're being picky though and if you see a bargain or prefer the colour of one over the other that's more significant !

Cheers

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
jakunen said:
Gary's green ones don't show up so well in dim light when you forget exactly where you put it.

Good point - I'll swap the original stuff out and put a loop of of bright yellow accessory cord through the lanyard hole instead !

Garish climbing colours do have their moments :eek:):

Cheers

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I think that the Amazon deal is the best around - they don't always have it in stock but at that price it's worth the wait ... darn near the same price as a replacement blade!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
RJP said:
Laplander is £18.53 including postage which is cheaper than Amazon :nana: if you have to pay for postage on top (assuming you have all the Bushcraft books!)
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/SAN396LAP.html
Rob :pack:

tool-up.co.uk charge £18.53 + £5.99 for UK mainland shipping

i got mine from Amazon and got the Mors Kochanski book at the same time so i got free shipping.
The saw is great but i was not impressed with the book.
Nothing wrong with it really ,it's just the first RM book is pretty hard to beat and i'd rather see photographs than illustrations.

rb

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
:roll: Sorry guys,
I put it through and shipping was listed at £0.00 but I didn't process the order so perhaps I missed sneaky adding of postage.

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE