Lanolinising wool

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've done this to my Swannie, and woolie hat. Worked really well....

Well I haven't dyed one, but I have very successfully reproofed one with natural lanolin following the instructions kindly posted on here by another member (just do a search on "lanolin")
I actually think woollen items like this benefit from a tiny bit of shrinkage, and become a little felted (obviously not quite like Dachstein!). My Swanni is now slightly more densely woven, and a little fluffier, and so a little warmer. Sheds water really well now, but smells like a cross between a love-struck Lama, and last years left over sheep dip or something. But who cares?
Obviously don't try anything on a Swanndri Extreme.

Got my pure lanolin from Baldwins, they do mail order...

http://www.baldwins.co.uk

The smallest jar will be enough to treat quite a few items, just dissolve a couple of spoonfulls in a jar of boiling water, and add to a bucket of warm water. Soak the item in the solution for a while, and work in the lanolin, that can create create a sort of soapy scummy layer on the top.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Yep I had a bash at treating my Swannie bushshirt and got great results after getting similar advice from Toddy. Been out in the rain in it and it really makes a big difference - I just made up the lanolin mixture in a small jar with some hot water mixed up. Then put some lukewarm water in the bath, stir in the mixture and soak overnight. Quick spin in the washing machine and a dry; job done.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Below is the process kindly posted by Toddy some time back. I have tried it on a pendleton shirt and a pair of M&S wool trousers and it works well...

If you prefer to use real lanolin to reproof wool then the method is to make up a soapy water solution with about 4-5 litres of luke warm water and either 2 tablespoons of soap flakes or pure soap rubbed up into a good lather. Take out a little in a cleaned jam jar and add a level tablespoonful of the pure lanolin. Heat in ten second bursts in the microwave until the lanolin has melted. Pour this back into the soapy water. The water should go very milky looking. Soak your just washed and still damp swanni or jumper or bushshirt or cloak in this mixture for at least an hour though longer is more effectice. Move it around pretty frequently or add more lukewarm water. Finally squeeze out excess water and hang to dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE