Landy tyres

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Calling all Landy owners!

Anyone else experienced any instabilities in their landy when using mixed crossply/radial tyres (crossply front, radial rear)? I'm not overly fussed because I'm gonna replace the two crossplys soon but it's something odd that we've noticed. Before on 4 crossplys it was rock solid at all speeds but that changed after we changed two tyres.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Adi,

I've got some really cheap cross-plys on my Series 3, cost me a fiver each from a mate who's Mum had had them fitted to a defender but didn't like them 'cos it wouldn't go round corners anymore!

I find they are OK in the dry, excellent in the clag but an absolute nightmare on wet roads. I hate to think what it would be like with them on one end and radials on the other. I'd like to beplase with BFG All terrains, but it would double the value of the vehicle! :shock: #

Dave

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I'm beginning to think that this whole "you can mix crossplies and radials as long the radials are on the back axle" business is nonesense. I can still hear the ads from the late 70s/early 80s in my head but I'm now sure it's rubbish.

I also think that since the Stage 1 is permanent 4x4 that this makes a difference too ... but I've not come across anyone who can confirm or deny that yet.

Basically, before this tyre swap, it was rock solid even at motorway speeds (and beyond :oops: ), now it can be dicey on certain road types at 50 - 60 mph. :shock:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Adi,
I done it by mistake on my 110 and it frightened the life out of me.
Its not only dangerous but also illegal.
Now you have a Landy you need to keep an eye open for the sodbury sort-out 10 acres of Landy auto jumble held twice a year and you will love it, its held at newbury just off the M4, when I get details of the next one I will post it for all to see. :)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
No, I've had it confirmed that it's not illegal - except in the case of temporary use spare tyres, it is illegal in the UK to mix radial and crossply tyres on the same axle, or to have radial ply tyres on the front axle and cross ply tyres on the rear axle. This applies to all two axle motor vehicles whether front or rear wheel drive.

So, while it's legal, it just seems crazy!!!!

Chopper said:
Adi,
Its not only dangerous but also illegal.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Thanks for that info Chopper I ned to replace my tyres and I will bear that and the Hi-miler comment in mind.

Good thread Adi.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
As you all probably know , cross-ply tyres have a near enough rock solid tyre wall, this doesnt help in cornering !! :shock:
With radials the wall is designed to `give` or `flex` to keep more of the tread on the road - hence better handling.

I had a Mk1 mini on cross-plys , it gave a really hard ride and there was quite bad tyre `scrabble` going around a tight corner - not good for the trousers :oops:

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I will remember that you revealed your trade Gurushaun - next time I need some tryes ;)

The Old Sodbury sortout is a pretty good day out - but take plenty of cash with you, and be prepared to part with it.

We got loads of stuff there last year when we were kitting out the 90. You just have to know what you want, and get it when you see it at a fair price.

If you think it will still be there later, then it will probably have been sold whilst you were seeing if anyone else did it cheaper.

April and October are the months that it is held - get there early and join the biggest que of Land Rovers you will have ever seen. :)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Ain't that always the case with a landy!

I think that the motto of the Landy Owners Club should be ...

"And you thought a Jag was expensive to run!!!" :-D

Rob said:
The Old Sodbury sortout is a pretty good day out - but take plenty of cash with you, and be prepared to part with it.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Adi,
Sorry I misread your post, I thought you were mixing on the same axle, anyway not a good idea as you have found to mix on the same vehicle.

As far as being expensive to run, wait until you have been to the Old Sodbury sortout, you will love it. :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to say that now we've put radials on all wheels that the problem has vanished! I got a great deal on some Avon tyres (which match what's already on there) and the trip down to the NEC went without a hitch! :-D

Thanks to all who helped! :biggthump

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
gurushaun said:
Just out of interest what did you pay for the Rangemasters that you bought Adi?

Cheers

Shaun

Well, they'd done 8 miles from the LR dealer (new Land Rovers bought by the Countryside Council for Wales) to the tyre station where they were changed for something beefier ... I got them for £70 each, fitted.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
gurushaun said:
Adi

You got a good deal there, :-D. New they are £95.00.

Cheers

Shaun
Highest quote I got was a whopping £160 each! :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE