Land Access

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chester`C

Sep 6, 2007
Hull
I'd like to know how on earth they get the bloody wheel chairs across the quagmire of farmers fields in the first place its sometimes hard enough walking through it !!!!!

will thousands of miles of tarmac now be laid aswell across our lush country side to accomadate wheelchair users

Rant over by the way I have nothing against people in wheelchairs and if they can get to the gate in the first place then fair enough

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I looked after a lady once who laughed her self silly when she heard the term kissing gate, she was higher functioning autisic. :lmao:

so they weren't an afront to her disability.

Seriously though, i have friend who is a mouth pianter, He gets about in a motorised chair. He piants beuatiful pictures of nature, but recognises that if the countryside was made fully DDA compatable it would ruin it. Somethings can be made better, and wheelchairs are improving but it can't flatten a mountain. I am sure DDA has the phase 'reasonably practical adjustments'.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Disabled Access also means Wheeled Access which also means Motocrosser Access:)

Can't see the bobble hatters going for that one somehow:(

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Crazy. Crazy. Crazy. I've disabled relatives - they'd no more want to try and cross a stile than to attempt the impassable muddy field on the other side. I'm all for places like forestry commission land being used - but the rest of the countryside - bonkers.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Complaints about land accessibility by members of this forum? Many BcUK members have bemoaned the lack of access to land for bushcrafting, about the access rights in England when compared to Scotland or about where they can light a fire on the ground.

The Disability Discrimination Act calls for making reasonable adjustment(s); It doesn't call for wholesale ransacking of the countryside. Some areas won't be suitable for wheelchair access and they won't be altered because the changes needed would be unreasonable; just because a wheelchair users legs don't work doesn't mean that their brain has detatched. I know plenty of able bodied people who don't enjoy traipsing through mud and even the the disabled expect the countryside to be muddy in places.

As an example, has anyone been skiing? Did you did you walk back up the slope after each descent or did you make use of the ski lift? Of course a skier will make use of something that grants access to what would otherwise be an inaccessible area.

How can those with mobility problems access an area until the problem of an areas accessibility has *started* to be dealt with?

This next bit might, initially, seem to be way off topic. However it's two examples to do with *rights* that we now take for granted - freedom and choice. Please bear with me.

Once upon a time (and not too long ago) voting in elections was a privilege held by a relatively small percentage. Why? Because the general populace was considered to simple to understand the issues that affected them by those in charge.

At about the same time any woman who was 'overly emotional' ran the risk of having a hysterectomy forced upon her to calm her down and control her emotions - it's where we get the word hysteria from.

Shouldn't we grant *reasonable access* to all those who wish to have it, irrespective of whether they can walk or not?

xylaria

Shouldn't we grant *reasonable access* to all those who wish to have it, irrespective of whether they can walk or not?

There are paths in lakes that have had to be tarmaced to prevent errosion so it is reasonable in some places. In others having tarmac on well used paths that are now limestone grit would benifit a lot of walkers. We already have purpose made paths, but they are surfaced with material choosen because it looks natural, not because it is ecological sound or good to walk on. Tarmac is black and ugly, but it doesn't ruin a ericious moor or cut chunks out of your knees if you fall it.

On a personal note I only get joint trouble walking on hard surfaces, but I can walk off path if i need to. Kissing gates can be made wheelchair accessible. My only worry is that if paths are made too smooth it may encourage the idea that it is an easier envornment than it looks, tarmac wouldn't stop a wind chill of -10, but a wheelchiar may stop you from getting down and out of it

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
There are already a few wheelchair friendly kissing gates around my way, and are built something along the lines of the below (poor) drawing

Image1.jpg

Admitedly where they are located they are surrounded by arable land rather than grazing

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
This is something i feel quite strongly about . My late wife used a wheel chair , it was the only way she could get about . She was on oxygen all the time too so there was always a cylinder to carry . This never stopped us getting out though , i used to push her (with a cylinder of o2) through the forest everyday to walk the dogs . It was hard work , but was definately worth every minute . Eventualy we managed to get an electric wheelchair , other than ruining my fitness levels it was a good move , but there where places that assistance was needed . Came accross an equine gate that we couldnt get through one day . So i got on to the local rights of way bloke , he told me that a lot of these gates have RADAR keys . Now as these keys are usually for disabled toilets in town it wasnt something i thought to try despite having had it with us when at the gate ! But it worked .
The other thing worth a mention is that there is a very good wheelchair on the market that will cope with nearly any terrain , its called the Tramper . My wife had one and it would go anywhere . Apparently one of these machines has made it up snowdon and accross the alps on Hannibals route . To be turned back by a gate or a stile would be highly frustrating .
Pumbaa

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pumbaa,

Rarerly, very rarely do I read a post that is thought provoking, written by someone who has the authority to speak on a subject and sets out facts in a clear and anti self pitying way. If there was a nomination for the best post of the year, I would nominate the post above. You have joined a short and exclusive list of people who have made say "my views on this subject were completely wrong and your argument has convinced me"

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Red

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Red ,
Coming from someone that has made me stop and think on more than a few occasions , i can only take that as a complinent .:D

The thing is , i dont think the countryside needs changing , thats half the challange . Anything that cant be got round is generally man made and thats the frustrating bit .
I have a manual wheelchair here and was just thinking it would make an interesting series of meets to take it round members favourite walks (with someone strapped in it) . It is kinda like those team based games i used to have to do in the scouts and the army . The ones where you have 3 planks and have to get from barrel to barrel .
It wouldnt be an easy stroll for sure . Infact there could even be a "wilderness from a wheelchair" book in it somewhere ! :lmao:
Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE