Stove in a Land Rover Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Bit of idle head scratching going here ahead of delivery of my Land Rover Tent.

This tent is designed to have a small camp fire in the porch area anyway so I was thinking about a fire pit with the side open and that then brought me on to thinking about having a stove in there instead. Now stoves in tents have probably been done to death on here but the design of the LR Tent is a bit trickier in that the side walls fold in to enclose the sleeping area. I ordered the optional closing panel to shut off the end but wondered I'd anyone could think of a design of stove that would poke out of one of the lacing gaps in the corners (assuming an insulated flue of some type)

So ideally Id like to be able to close up the tent all round and run the stove (without dying) with the stove pipe exiting an existing gap.

Any ideas? Should also add that we will probably cook for 4 or 5 folk at a time on it.

http://wildcanvas-outdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/image11.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Frontier would do it. Bear in mind if it rains you have a hole in your tent, I'd decide where you want the stove and fit a flashing kit.

I've seen a twin wall flue section for them, but I can't seem to find a link. Steam pipe lagging would work instead.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Cheers Klench!

Looked at the Frontier but I don't fancy going up through the flat roof. I think I need something that goes out the back, through the corner lacing and then up.

Twin wall flue with lagging sounds like a way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Cheers Klench!

Looked at the Frontier but I don't fancy going up through the flat roof. I think I need something that goes out the back, through the corner lacing and then up.

I very nearly bought one last week for the belltent, but then had the horrors about cutting the tent. Added to that, I don't do a lot of winter camping because the canvas is a bugger to dry if it gets soaked.

I think I was working out ways to justify owning a Frontier rather than look at its actual usage. :lmao:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
It's arrived! I'm stroking the canvas and cooing over the copper rivets in the Stainless sleeves in the Ash poles.

Drool! Too busy to put it up tonight :-(

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
It's arrived! I'm stroking the canvas and cooing over the copper rivets in the Stainless sleeves in the Ash poles.

Drool! Too busy to put it up tonight :-(

A Land Rover tent? Presumably within 24 hours of putting it up, galvanic corrosion will have set in, you will have ripped your trousers while getting in and there will be no room for your elbows when you are in, there will howling draughts through every closed opening, random leaks of water in and oily stains underneath it and it will have developed an overwhelming aroma of EP80/90! Enjoy ;)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Ha ha. Only quiet when the rattling part rust off. I know, I know. I've had several of those Land Rovers in the past and look back on them with great nostalgia now.

This tent will end up as an heirloom piece. (It's the last one to ever be produced too) It's gorgeous but I've neither put it up or slept in it yet so we will see if I love it after that.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Cheers Klench!

Right angle and 45 degree pipe pieces are available. The pipe size is standard lorry exhaust so pretty much anything is possible.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Had a really good feeling about the Outbacker Firebox. It arrived today and I have had a little test fire in the garden. Draw is fantastic.

The 45 degree bend is a problem. Frontier don't recommend a 45 on the 60mm flue. There are after market products but these were quite pricey and very large. Ozpig do one and I snagged one reasonably. Unfortunately this isn't a good fit. I think I can adapt it so I will persist. I've picked up a flexible metal tube and a couple of jubilee clips so if I can arrange some insulation I will have a solution to it exiting my tent via a toggle gap.

Will do a review of the Firebox in due course.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Good one, I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

The stove shops sell heatproof tape. I use it to seal the ends of the fibreglass rope used to line the doors, it doesn't disintegrate even on the door. Might help you out when securing lagging or adding a few mm here and there.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
What I have ended up with as a plan is Exhaust Wrap and a flexible flue tube both held with Jubilee Clips.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Well I have done it!!

Finally all the pieces came together tonight quite literally.

Land Rover tent went up. Having done it once before this went up much quicker tonight.

189be73c6017f85b233ff0d35cc8a233.jpg

c30dd64e3ff56b89627790de87a8166c.jpg

6e75ec7c915b0460f30736144bef019f.jpg

1eb9b3fd8be2e884971c1a8efc60e1df.jpg

Then I started messing with the stove Outbacker Firebox from Belltent Boutique.

I found the storage box from Ikea to be a perfect fit for its footprint and it will house a load of firewood while making the stove a comfortable height to tent and also to watch the cosy flicker through the glass window.

I didn't want to cut a hole so I sought out a 45 degree offset to try and vent out of a corner. I understand that the Outbacker stove uses the same 60mm flue as the Frontier but not the Frontier Plus. The manufacturers of the Frontier do not do an offset. I spoke to them and they said this is because the 60mm flue would not have enough draw. However I found one on an Expedition Equipment website but thought this was a horrendous price with the postage.

I found a 60 mm Ozpig offset on a greenhouse website and it was so much better price I took the plunge. However this is not a direct fit and I had to fettle a Stainless flue pipe to fit into the cast metal Ozpig flue. This isn't tidy and I'm going to improve the rough and ready job I did tonight.

I found some khaki exhaust wrap on eBay and wrapped the offset and a part of the attached flue above and below. I had enough wrap to go all the way down wrapping 50% of the last turn and then went 3/4 of the way back up doing the same thing. This ties off with stainless cable ties and was actually really neat. My bandaging was not the best but I was excited to give this solution a whirl.

Well it's absolutely on the money. I can hold the flue at the bend with the fire stoked well up and on full draw. The canvas around this gets no hotter than it would in the sun on a summers day.

a9af5dd7c16b8fe60434a15b068ccc93.jpg

a9543fd8323cf6a2e40fce48df391814.jpg

74cdc2be27f3326920542c3e370ec95e.jpg

I let the stove burn off in this way for a good half hour before closing it up.

The lamp hangers I had acquired were not the best fit on poles of this girth but I was able to open up the twist quite easily. The lamp is a useful addition under such thick canvas.

1077eff73e49b4402f3728d0298b5402.jpg

I went round outside and started fussing with the hemp style cord that I intend to rig this tent with eventually and to measure up the 4 poles I want to add to lift up the back wall guys. When I entered the tent a few minutes later the temperature difference in the tent was really notable. I had to take off my fleece!

Then you find yourself just sitting and enjoying the ambience.

378055c01aebaa17bb20e21c7c072c83.jpg

Someone was happy.

6f7dd814d9dc73773164a578efcd8129.jpg

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Lovely traditional tent but I'm not sure whether what it is attached to really counts as a traditional Land Rover - the tent will certainly be around long after that ceases to be economic to maintain. ;)

On a more serious point - I can see the aesthetic point in mounting the stove on a platform but from a practical perspective in cold weather, as heat rises, surely it will reduce the effectiveness of the stove in heating the sleeping area?

There are quite a few vids on Utube with people shortening the legs on their Frontier stoves to get them closer to the ground and the new Frontier Plus has adjustable legs to help with this.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE