Stove in a Land Rover Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
That's interesting Nomad.

I wanted it higher because I carry a bit of a back injury and it is usually worse in the cold. I was trying to avoid stooping.

I still had 2 spare sections of flue and as you can see I'm miles higher than my roof.

The box ive got it on flat packs but actually isn't a bad size for the stove and the offset.

The Discovery is a beast. It's capable of just about anything my old Defender could do until they both get to a point where they are limited by tyres. Discovery has a much more rigid body. If you get it up on two wheels diagonally you can open and shut all the doors unlike Defender. It's also a limo on the motorway. Will I be driving it in 5 years time? I don't know but it's great right now. I've picked up an expedition roof rack for it. Just got to plan where I'm taking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
The Discovery is a beast. It's capable of just about anything my old Defender could do until they both get to a point where they are limited by tyres. Discovery has a much more rigid body. If you get it up on two wheels diagonally you can open and shut all the doors unlike Defender. It's also a limo on the motorway. Will I be driving it in 5 years time? I don't know but it's great right now. I've picked up an expedition roof rack for it. Just got to plan where I'm taking it.

All true but in the same way, on paper, the spec of a room in a Novotel is better in every respect than your tent - I was just expecting a picture of a Defender or Series but can see that neither would be much fun for someone with back issues. ;)

I've never felt the need to open the doors on my 110 while having two wheel off the ground but I suppose if it was ever a problem I could weld half a ton of extra steel into the chassis and still come out lighter than a Disco.

I followed a Disco 4 on road tyres round the LR Experience course at Rockingham a few years ago in my 110 shod in MT tyres. I struggled to keep up with the instructor but he did concede that the traction control gizmos were working flat out to get it round and wouldn't be able to cope doing it for hours on end. There has been the odd occasion when I've missed the lack of a mechanical front and rear difflock on my 110 but these are simple and relatively cheap and with them it becomes almost unstoppable.

Enjoy your expedition - just don't go too far from a main dealer! ;)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
The warranty and recovery cover are pretty amazing.

I've had a Series 3 and Defender 110 CSW. They are fun but I do 20,000 miles a year currently so not really an option even on the modern defenders.

Novotel on a mountain side with a forever view?

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Novotel on a mountain side with a forever view?/QUOTE]

OK, I'll use the "C" word then "caravan" - but I think you get my point! ;)

Enjoy the tent and the Disco and don't mind me, I just pine for a simpler time when workers at Lode Lane made (largely by hand), simple, rugged, user maintainable vehicles for farmers, the military, explorers, aid agencies, rural medics, utility companies etc. etc. in the UK and around the world, rather than churning out expensive, hi-tech executive barges, yummy mummy mobiles and bling wagons for Premier League footballers, drug dealers and dictators - all of which sell like hot cakes and have (on paper at least) astonishing off-road capabilities which almost invariably, will never get used.

My jobs for the next few days include servicing a Stihl brushcutter, rehandling an old Elwell slasher and sharpening a scythe I found in a barn. They all do the similar jobs but the specifications of one are much higher than the other two. I know which ones I will enjoy using most - even if my muscles will ache the next day.

That world has changed and maybe I'm just a Luddite but I think Jack H would be with me in this! ;)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Dude don't get hung up on it. I drive a Discovery because I spend a lot of time in it. It can tow the stuff I need and I can get my wife, 3 kids, a spaniel all our camping or surfing kit in it and go anywhere in it comfortably. I pay my bills working in a technology where I'm always in my head and don't make anything. It doesn't define who I am.

I yearn for the wilderness.

And please don't use the C word.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I think the X Trail I had before this rated pretty high too. The only other car that fits my needs at the moment is the Landcruiser

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE