Laminated longbow #47 with extras

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kungaryfu

Jan 3, 2012
dorset
Selling my dads laminated longbow

67 inches long and pulls #47

Made with at least 3 different woods on the riser and comes with;
Leather quiver
Matching leather arm guard
Leather belt
And comes with a cover.

£115 inc postage mainland uk
£100 if collected from portland dorset

Last edited:

kungaryfu

Jan 3, 2012
dorset
Wikapeadia says
Traditional flatbows are usually wooden selfbows (bows made of one solid piece of wood).
And
Wooden laminated longbows can be made by gluing together two or more different pieces of wood. Usually this is done to take advantage of the inherent properties of different woods: some woods can better withstand compression while others are better at withstanding tension. Examples include hickory and lemonwood, or bamboo and yew longbows: hickory or bamboo is used on the back of the bow (the part facing away from the archer when shooting) and so is in tension, while the belly (the part facing the archer when shooting) is made of lemonwood or yew and undergoes compression (see bending for a further explanation of stresses in a bending beam). Traditionally made Japanese yumi are also laminated longbows, made from strips of wood: the core of the bow is bamboo, the back and belly are bamboo or hardwood, and hardwood strips are laminated to the bow's sides to prevent twisting.

Im no expert though :)

Last edited:

kungaryfu

Jan 3, 2012
dorset
Not that i know much about archery, but i have been told that on a flatbow the narrowest point (apart from the ends) is the 'handle' like in the famous http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmegaard_bow
On a longbow the widest point is the 'handle' as in the bow for sale.
As ive said previously im no expert and only a beginner at archery, im only going by what people have told me and what ive read, from what i gather the terms can be synominous: even wikipeadia says that the american flatbow is also known as the american longbow, so as far as i gather the terms longbow and flatbow can be used interchangably as denoted by your own preference. I have no idea what any regulatory body states on this matter.
Thankyou mountainm for your input as im happy to learn from everybodies help and suggestions and im a long, long way away from competion standard yet, ive only been doing it a couple of months. I cant wait to start field archery as ive only been doing target archery in a sports hall so far:)

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
even wikipeadia says that the american flatbow is also known as the american longbow, so as far as i gather the terms longbow and flatbow can be used interchangably as denoted by your own preference. I have no idea what any regulatory body states on this matter.
Thankyou mountainm for your input as im happy to learn from everybodies help and suggestions and im a long, long way away from competion standard yet, ive only been doing it a couple of months. I cant wait to start field archery as ive only been doing target archery in a sports hall so far:)

It's only an issue if you serious about competition and doing traditional target shooting. Flatbows get grouped in with recurves and others in the "barebow" category so they (the recurves) have a competitive advantage. Whereas trad English longbows shoot together, it's a stupid rule but there it is.

They are much more welcome in field archery if I remember correctly. If you use wooden arrows you'll be grouped in with traditional bows. Otherwise barebow again.

It looks like a great bow and I was tempted myself.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Its the term traditional that bugs me, I was in a clout comp with a bunch of dudes using the "English" or Welsh longbow, so anyway after I wan the comp using an "American flatbow" they all started to try and ganging up on me trying to make excuses " which didn't work coming from a bunch of wollies dressed up in pantaloons pretending to be Robin Hood" anyway I digress, they moaned about my bow having American Indian technology and they insisted was an American flatbow AFB fair enough but so wate a minute I said the oldest bows found in Europe are flat bows the "Traditional" long bow as they "choose" to call them only evolved from the short bow in the 13th or 14th century where my so called American "Indian technology" flatbow has a history in Europe dating back at least 5 or 6000 years, or, like them, just choose to ignore the facts, me personally I thought they were just a bunch o sore losers, ...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Maybe all these comments would be better placed in a thread of their own? for further discussion as its interesting stuff.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry. You're right. I thought it important though for both seller and buyer to clarify the difference to avoid a dispute later

on.

No problem from my quarter -just saying a dialogue thread on the history / merits of differing bow styles may be interesting to all and worth the effort. Just saying , For sale threads are not the best place for quality information IMO.

kungaryfu

Jan 3, 2012
dorset
The bow is now sold and is with its new owner. I hope he has lots of fun with it.

Thanks for all the info and help guys, archery is an indepth subject and its great to get peoples ideas and opinions on it. Im just starting out in it and look forward to learning all i can.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE