Chris Boyton Heart of Yew Longbow, Arrows, Accessories

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
THIS IS NOW LISTED ON EBAY - SALE DROPPED FROM HERE.

NOTE: FOLLOWING FURTHER RESEARCH IT WOULD APPEAR THIS IS IN FACT HICKORY PURPLEHEART WITH EITHER PEQUIOA OR LEMONWOOD BELLY. SORRY FOR THE ERROR - IT WAS SOLD TO ME AS YEW.

A couple of years back I got it into my head that I wanted to practice longbow archery. I still do, but I have neither the time nor the facilities at the moment, so my beloved bow has to go :-(

This is a Chris Boyton (he of Ray Mears fame) heart of yew longbow. It is 6/3" long (including nocks), and draws approximately 60lb. It bears the mark "C J Boyton - Middlesex" and a date of manufacture XXV - V - MM (25/5/2000 for the hard of thinking). It has a grip and a mother of pearl inlay. The bowstring appears to be in good condition, but I'm not an expert.

Please note that there is a slight crack in one of the nocks. For that reason I am unable to string the bow and test the draw weight. If you buy this then you need to get that nock checked by a competent bowyer before you do anything with it. The bow has been stored lying flat in a room that is not centrally heated for much of the year.

The bow comes in a red velvet bag with a leather drawstring.

We then have the arrows:
- 7 Longshot 32" bodkin tips (2 with tips missing), well used but in good condition
- 12 Longshot 32" bodkin tips, in new condition
- 10 x 32" arrows, manufacture unknown, well used but in good condition

These come in a poster tube with shoulder strap.

We have a full set of accessories:
- Leather shooting glove
- Leather ace up arm guard
- Basketweave quiver with belt
- Leather bow stringer
- Nylon replacement string
- Approx 2 doz replacement bodkin tips
- String wax

So, once that nock's been fixed up, this is everything you could possibly need to get into longbow shooting, with the added cachet of a bow that has been made by one of the country's best bowyers. New, the arrows and accessories alone would cost around £200.

This lot will be a bit of a s*d to ship, so collection strongly preferred - I'm near Basingstoke. If you really want it then I can box it up for shipping, but will need to get a cost for that first.

Cheers

Tobes

P1000020.jpgP1000018.jpgP1000017.jpgP1000016.jpgP1000015.jpgP1000014.jpgP1000013_2.jpgP1000023.jpgP1000022.jpgP1000021.jpgP1000019.jpg

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
As you can see above, I've discovered that the bow is hickory, not yew, but I can't change the listing title. Chris reckons it will cost about £30 to renock. Not bad for a bow that would still cost £450+ new...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE