ladies gundog gilet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
poor little bugger had his nuts removed too and it didnt make any difference.
oddly enough he has very little interest in other dogs, just follows the girlfriend wherever she goes.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
poor little bugger had his nuts removed too and it didnt make any difference.
oddly enough he has very little interest in other dogs, just follows the girlfriend wherever she goes.
How old was he when he had the chop?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
OK. Standard advice from the vet. Supposed to calm the dog down eh.... .

Labs won't mentally mature until they're about 2 years old and sometimes it can be longer, maybe up to three years of age. Getting a dog chopped generally only affects their physical development and only occasionally has an effect on their behaviour. For example if a dog is chopped before it's physically mature (about 18mths) then you can run the risk of the development of joint problems, especially in the hips as the dog hasn't finished growing. By chopping the dog too early, growth hormone production stops before the joints are fully formed. Not good.

If your dog is still boisterous at two, then the chop didn't work as expected.... he's still mentally not mature (another guess) so still acts like a pup. But he can still learn...

How is he around the house, on a walk without and without other dogs? Does he pull on the lead? Do you walk him on the collar or a harness or a haltie/figure of eight or a slip lead?

Is he a foodie? I'd love to help you with your dog so you and your girlfriend can have a calm and relaxing dog around rather than a lunatic!

Reactions: jcr71 and Broch

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
We have a Lab and he’s bonkers. Part of the problem with a working dog is they need a lot of exercise and a lot of mental stimulation. He’s much better behaved after a long walk and when he’s been able to do lots of sniffing and running around like a maniac. Rewarding calm behaviour and giving him quick timeouts if he crosses boundaries has helped getting the message across. Even if it means sitting indoors with his lead on, with your foot on the lead until he is properly calm and relaxed, when he gets treats.

Also I know to some it’s controversial, but he needs a tap on the nose sometimes to snap him out of it if he’s got too wound up and isn’t listening. Seeing how hard he smashes his head into things just when he’s playing, I am not worried at all by a tap to the snout.

Labradors really are much more likely to be maniacs until they reach 2 or 3. We have spent a LOT of time training ours at 15 months, with strict consistency. It doesn’t help that they also aren’t always food motivated. If another dog or a cat is nearby, you could dangle a raw steak in front of ours and he’d move his head out the way so that he could keep focused on the thing he’s focused on.

Just as a word of caution in case you’ve been on the internet and read that the only way to train any dog is ‘positive reinforcement only’ training: It’s not true. Positive only dog training (ie no corrections for bad behaviour) sounds great on paper and sounds lovely for telling Instagram followers how great and better than other trainers you are, but it does *not* work with all dogs. Especially working dogs, they need to know boundaries.

I sympathise - mad young puppies and adolescent dogs can be very hard work. Keep at it, and I’d recommend you investigate ‘balanced’ dog training and find a trainer who can assist there.

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
How is he around the house, on a walk without and without other dogs? Does he pull on the lead? Do you walk him on the collar or a harness or a haltie/figure of eight or a slip lead?

Is he a foodie? I'd love to help you with your dog so you and your girlfriend can have a calm and relaxing dog around rather than a lunatic!
the dog has a slip lead at dog training and usually on walks. he gets between 1 and 2 hours off the lead exercise in the forest every morning, during which hes near constantly running or swimming, except for around 15-20 minutes when a tennis ball is hidden for him to sniff out. so is fit as a fiddle.
(the girlfriend said its an enrichment walk, where she plays games and does training)
a lot calmer at home, likes to play tug with his toys- will pick one up and then come and nudge me to try to get me to engage- he likes to be chased. then eventually it turns into fetch.

when encountering other dogs he will briefly say hello then he just ignores them.

like all labs, he loves food.

(girlfriend again)- once hes out of the house he becomes over stimulated and can trigger stack. doesnt like to stand still as he doesnt know what to do, which results in barking, jumping up, digging and chewing stick)s.

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
the training is just done for fun.

back in the summer at Broadlands dog festival he even managed to come last place in the sniff out a treat competition.
bloody useless! :facepalm:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Thanks for your detailed reply.

Is he a pet dog or a working dog? (Fur, feather or security work)

Sounds like he has been conditioned to be constantly doing high energy tasks and hasn't been taught how to simply relax.

If he's a pet dog, why is there a focus on a high level of cardiovascular fitness and scent work (finding a hidden ball)? Keeping a dog extremely fit and constantly stimulated without training control doesn't 'tire him out' it just makes your dog a stronger idiot....

Enrichment exercises don't have to concentrate on high energy stuff. It can (and should) involve training the dog to respond to commands (sit, down, come, away, for example). Get to training the dog to use his brain more than his physical ability. Do It with food, not a toy (toys are stimulators, food requires cognition and a calm attitude to digest).

My dogs are fit. They work. But the first 6 months of their lives focussed on making a steady dog. I have fox red and black labs, all from 5+ generation working lines, health tested, blah blah... they can hunt all day in all weather. But when I tell them to wait, they wait. And they'll wait for hours until I send them. I taught them to have impulse control. They want to work, but they can control themselves emotionally until I send them. At home they lay on the floor and sleep (even on days off). If I get up from the sofa they'll raise their head to see what's up, but if I don't say anything they stay where they are. They know they're not working, nothings gonna kick off.

My point being by explaining all of this is that my dogs work hard, but they're under control, and they know when to switch off. Sounds like your dog lacks control and doesn't know when to switch off. Every engagement it has with your girlfriend is high energy without asking the dog to calm down and respond to command. At home he demands attention (and probably gets it every time) and doesn't know to settle. im not digging mate, just my opinion.

For what it's worth, I also have collie at home. He's from farm stock. Very intelligent. He's 10 now. Never worked him in his life. He gets a walk in the morning and a walk in the evening. No special food, no toys, no enrichment. He's a pet for my Mrs. Never had a behaviour problem with him ever, because from 6 weeks old I trained him to do the basics (here, down, come, away, no) so he has good manners.

Apologies if none of that makes any sense. I'd be happy to arrange a call or video chat to discuss privately if that helps?

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
thank you for that very detailed response Van-Wild.
the dogs just a pet. the gun dog training is for fun.
the girlfriend is trying to calm him on walks with treats, hopefully it will help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE