Kupilka Finnish Cups, Mugs, Bowls etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Just in!

KUPILKA means „little cup". The word KUPILKA stems from the Finnish word for cup which is "Kuppi". It also refers to a term used by Finnish people decades ago, when men and women warmed up their hands with their "Kuppilka" or "little cup" by drinking hot beverages during the rough Finnish winter. NATURAL FIBRE COMPOSITES

KUPILKA products are made of a Biomaterial. The Biomaterial used for KUPILKA products is a Thermoplastic Natural Fibre Composites material. It is made up of 50% pine fibre (wood) and 50% plastic.

If you compare it to plastic, the benefits of Natural Fibre Composites are a better heat endurance and a higher durability thanks to the stiff structure. Another advantage when comparing the material to plastic is that it enables the use of engraving techniques. If you compare it to wood, the benefits of Natural Fibre Composites are that it doesn't require maintenance, doesn't "absorb" smells and is insensitive to humidity.
All KUPILKA products are dishwasher safe.

KUPILKA products are also recyclable. At the end of its life-span the product can be grinded and cast again into new products. All KUPILKA packages & Label cards are made from recycled cardboard. The leather strap of KUPILKA 5 is made from Reindeer leather.

The material was developed by Puugia, the Centre for Wood Technology in Joensuu.

Kupilka 5 Snaps Cup
5.jpg

Kuplika 21 Cup

21.jpg

Kuplika 55 Bowl
55.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good find Cliff

I didn't know about the materials being used, an interesting mix of pine and plastic, how does that work then ? Should make for a good durable and easy to clean mug or bowl though.

And they look sweet :)

Last edited:

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
These popped up on the forum ages ago and I really struggled to find where to get them from in the UK... No longer ;) they'll get added to the "list" lol

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Couldn't wait until Christmas :rolleyes:

Just ordered the kuksa and bowl set, I'll get the shot cup later me thinks :)

The plates are nice too

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It will be interesting to see if they feel and age like wood or plastic. The mix sounds quite like bakelite which actually ages nicely.
Bakelite (pronounced /ˈbeɪkɨlaɪt/), or polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride, is an early plastic. It is a thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin, formed from an elimination reaction of phenol with formaldehyde, usually with a wood flour filler. It was developed in 1907–1909 by Belgian chemist Dr. Leo Baekeland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

It will be interesting to see if they feel and age like wood or plastic.

That's to killer issue. They are expensive if they feel like wood-look plastic items, but good value if they feel like something warmer and more organic. Quite fancy the bowl, but would want to handle it first, and also check that handle doesn't feel like it's going to snap off on a cold day.
Hope about a "pass-around" Lurch?

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Bought a set of these recently - they are really excellent.

I had a look on Lakeland website tonight - all credit to Lurch and the gang, the prices have not as yet been increased since I bought mine, despite the increase to 20% VAT.

Thumbs up.

kawasemi

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Look like great products, good design and a practical material.

I've never heard the word "kupilka" though, "kuppi" is cup, but "kupilka" is a mystery :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE