Kukuri epic failure!

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
My Rat ******* Kukuri!

Have alook at my kukuri and it broke. I guess knives are for cutting and axes are for splitting wood. Lesson learned.

[video=youtube_share;UtjdBNKMnIs]http://youtu.be/UtjdBNKMnIs[/video]

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looking at the end of the steel where it broke and the other crack in the blade it seems more like excedingly poor workmanship and material than how you were using it

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
So do we get to know which company made the one that broke? It doesn't seem to be a "classical" khukuri made from leaf-spring steel, more like one of the mass=produced display models that are verywhere.

And I'd certainly second Samon's support of khukurihouse - I have a few of their items, and they are first-class tools.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
So do we get to know which company made the one that broke? It doesn't seem to be a "classical" khukuri made from leaf-spring steel, more like one of the mass=produced display models that are verywhere.

And I'd certainly second Samon's support of khukurihouse - I have a few of their items, and they are first-class tools.

let's see them then! ;)

did you have any BS charges during importing them? or is this 'handling fee' con just american imports?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
let's see them then! ;)

did you have any BS charges during importing them? or is this 'handling fee' con just american imports?

I'll have to find them first! Last lot i got included a couple of their 6" bladed mini-khukuris (they were on sale at the time - 2 for 1 - and it would have been rude not to!) As it turns out, they are really nicely sized for a general purpose bushcraft knife, heavy enough for serious chopping and batonning (and wedge shape makes it perfect for this), good as a draw-knife and makes nice firesticks too!

Now if I could only learn how to sharpen knives properly......

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
dude.. FIND THEM! ;)

need to see them ALL!

I liked their unpolished one, looks beast!

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
The company replaced the blade and after reading comments and quotes etc. I think I will test the living bacon out it too so I can give the company a fair chance. GK&CO is who I bought the knife from but they sent me a replacement so we'll see how it works. I guess I got a aFriday afternoon special. THis is not their cheapest knife but still lower end. Jury is still debating and needs more evidence (and bacon).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
I started the testing process on the new knife. Cut about 1/2 as much as the broken one so far and split a little of the wood that killed the orginal knife. The newer knife ss a little smaller and lighter.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
let's see them then! ;)

Import tax (VAT) applies to any item imported from outside the EU. It's currently charged at 20% and there will be an £8 handling fee charged by the Post Office. This is why when you see a knife for $50 in the USA and it appears to be a bargain, all you really need to do is change the $ sign to a £ sign to be a bit more realistic about the actual price.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's looks to me that the blade was cast steel which is ok for cutting but not hitting so I would say you got sold duff goods

I think it's unlikely it was cast. It's not cost effective. I do think it's made of monkey metal though. Even an old leaf spring can fracture due to work hardening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE