Kuksa with colour.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey all.
Made another gift for pal. This time, I tried a rather different finish on the outside. I saw some amazing kuksa's made by a chap that were otherworldly. I contacted him on the process involved and he kindly told me. This one is pretty much done apart from some more sanding. My first with this type of finish, using a small burl with not much room for maneuver.

Attachments

• 20221224_171139.jpg
    20221224_171139.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221224_171148.jpg
    20221224_171148.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221224_171319.jpg
    20221224_171319.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221224_171339.jpg
    20221224_171339.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221224_171356.jpg
    20221224_171356.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 28

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hey all.
Made another gift for pal. This time, I tried a rather different finish on the outside. I saw some amazing kuksa's made by a chap that were otherworldly. I contacted him on the process involved and he kindly told me. This one is pretty much done apart from some more sanding. My first with this type of finish, using a small burl with not much room for maneuver.
Oh wow, that is very different! What a lovely thing to make for someone.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Looks great! Is it a dye under a foodsafe varnish?
Aye. Green dye, the brown is the natural colour, along with the normal birch colour of the burl. Also food safe mineral oil on the inside. Outer edges also has fresh mineral oil on it, hence the glossy sheen. I'll likely add a number of more coats to that. Apparently, 'birch tree tru oil' is used on the outer edge by the pro's. Gun stock oil I gather. Giving a permanent seal and gloss. Not sure on its food safe qualities though, which is why I opted to use the mineral oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobnewboy

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Aye. Green dye, the brown is the natural colour, along with the normal birch colour of the burl. Also food safe mineral oil on the inside. Outer edges also has fresh mineral oil on it, hence the glossy sheen. I'll likely add a number of more coats to that. Apparently, 'birch tree tru oil' is used on the outer edge by the pro's. Gun stock oil I gather. Giving a permanent seal and gloss. Not sure on its food safe qualities though, which is why I opted to use the mineral oil.
Ah right - Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. Never tried it myself but it’s popular with bowyers in the States, and particularly on Osage orange wood. Cheers.

Dec 11, 2022
Shetland
Ah right - Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. Never tried it myself but it’s popular with bowyers in the States, and particularly on Osage orange wood. Cheers.
Tru Oil is basically oil-based varnish, boiled linseed oil and thinners, so not food safe. You can actually make your own using a 1:1:1 mix of those ingredients if you are after something similar for knife handles etc. Walnut oil is food safe although I'm not sure about nut allergies .I have just made up some wax using beeswax and walnut oil. Walnut oil is supposed to be a drying oil of sorts. Of course the wax can be used for many purposes.

Reactions: quietone

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Oh no! No oils or waxes are to be used on a kuksa other than the natural oils of coffee grinds.
Take fresh moist grinds and rub it inside the kuksa to get the grease to soak into the kuksa. Rinse out the grinds and let dry in an open place. And after drinking coffee never ever wash the kuksa, just let dry.

IMG_20190322_121330.JPG

Reactions: quietone and SaraR
Dec 11, 2022
Shetland
Oh no! No oils or waxes are to be used on a kuksa other than the natural oils of coffee grinds.
Take fresh moist grinds and rub it inside the kuksa to get the grease to soak into the kuksa. Rinse out the grinds and let dry in an open place. And after drinking coffee never ever wash the kuksa, just let dry.

IMG_20190322_121330.JPG
My comment was regarding the use of Tru Oil that you mentioned for the outside not the sealing of the inside although you mention using mineral oil for that. The Kuksa Shop instructions give the details of the coffee process and using linseed oil for the outside. Walnut oil was only offered as, probably, a better option.

Reactions: quietone

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
My comment was regarding the use of Tru Oil that you mentioned for the outside not the sealing of the inside although you mention using mineral oil for that. The Kuksa Shop instructions give the details of the coffee process and using linseed oil for the outside. Walnut oil was only offered as, probably, a better option.
Yes, I've used food safe walnut oil before on other cups. I guess it's down to a question of what you're used to, and what you're trying to achieve. I personally wouldnt use anything that was not food safe. The very glossy affect of the tru oil is striking yes, but is it safe to guzzle hot coffee from, even on the outside? I wont use it.
Regarding coffee, used that method on ones I use, but some of the ones I've made dont drink coffee, I know, very odd eh.. so using the mineral oil is suitable in those cases.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE