kuksa/kasa design inspiration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I was just admiring Brancho's lovely Kuksa and thinking about the design. I see this design carved quite often by folk in the UK bushcraft community.

Birchkuksa3.jpg

I also see the same design mass produced and sold retail for 25 euros.

kuksa_cup.jpg

kuksa_580x400_01.jpg

But I don't remember seeing any of them in the ethnographic museums in Scandinavia. What I was beginning to think was that maybe the design was actualy created for machine production, the hollow can be turned out on a lathe, the holes drilled, everything power sanded. I would love to see where they are made to sell them at that price it must be fast. Has anyone been to a kuksa factory?

So why not look at the hand carved stuff in the museums for inspiration instead of the machine made derivatives? Here are some of my pictures taken in dim museums with a very early digi cam several years ago.

P8260549.jpg

P8260558.jpg

P8260566.jpg

P8260573.jpg

P8260602.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!

I have one that looks very much like the one top left. As you say, they are available quite cheaply, but you shouldn't buy one for yourself apparently, it's supposed to be bad luck! I have looked at mine and I believe it is hand machined and then rubbed down with sandpaper or whatever. Saying that, I know it isn't jigged machinery as the wall of the vessel is not completely uniform, which would be expected on a jigged machined product. So not hand carved per se, but hand machined!

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Hi Robin.
Picture number three and five are not really kuksas.
It is traditional (read old) beer bowls. The people at Vestlandet still use such bowls when tasting the home made beer.
The tradition for the carved horse head handles is said to go back to the viking age.

Tor Helge

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I was indeed influenced by these modern style cups.

This style I would geuss comes from modern cup design and what people expect a cup to look like.

I may need to make a beer cup though for my home brew:1244:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hi Robin.
Picture number three and five are not really kuksas.
It is traditional (read old) beer bowls. The people at Vestlandet still use such bowls when tasting the home made beer.
The tradition for the carved horse head handles is said to go back to the viking age.

Tor Helge

That sounds like a good use to me! :cool: Is there a traditional wine drinking version too? (Like I need an excuse!)

It would be much nicer to see the talented people on here coming up with new designs , I know its just a cup but hey the sky is the limit where the imagination is concerned :) why copy stuff thats already out there make it personal ,,,,, I am not having a go at anyone who has made one either just trying to inspire new stuff :D

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It would be much nicer to see the talented people on here coming up with new designs , I know its just a cup but hey the sky is the limit where the imagination is concerned :) why copy stuff thats already out there make it personal ,,,,, I am not having a go at anyone who has made one either just trying to inspire new stuff :D

That is an interesting point. I am certainly not having a go at Brancho for copying the kuksa design either, in fact I believe copying good design is an excellent way to learn and no 2 will ever be the same anyway, we all put a bit of ourselves into to our work. I consider myself still to be learning and spend a lot of time looking at the best of what has been made in the past and copying it. Once you have made one and used it you understand its strong points and its weaknesses and maybe next time you improve on it.

I am sure there are a few folk who could create great designs from scratch but for many using something you admire as inspiration is a good place to start. I like to hear musicians who have been playing for years experimenting and writing their own stuff but if my daughter took up violin I would prefer her to learn a few tunes before going freelance.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
There is a lot of ways you can go with these. The main thing for me is to have fun. I like the look of Brancho's a lot, as well as the museum images.

mug6b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hoodoo
Thanks for the comments I like the finish on that cup a lot.:D

Thanks brancho. :D

The funny deal on that is I was trying to figure out if I wanted to add the stipling on the bottom so I photochopped the stippling on the handle and pasted it on the base before I carved it. Then I let some friends decide if it was worth the effort. :D

mugxxv2b.jpg

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
This is an interesting thread, even though I know sod all about Kuksas! I am currently working on a lump of Hawthorne, so If I manage a Kuksa it will have minimal influence.Hopefully Singeblisters challenge extends to talentless carvers as well, so I intend to try and come up with something different. What I would like to know though is:- are Kuksas expected to be free standing and be balanced on a flat surface, if so this may be a major design constraint.Given that Hawthorne seems to contain a lot of voids and encased bark, this experiment may end up as firewood, so no promises! Best wishes to all Greenwood carvers out there, John

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Maybe I can add to the variety a little by posting my small collected history of kuksas. The designs are a little of Nature's and a little my own, the rest is mainly chance.

Kuksas.jpg

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Is Alder any good for these ?

My brothers neighbour just removed a major branch from his tree (more like a small trunk really) and I'm thinking a blagging some for spoons and a cup or three

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Is Alder any good for these ?

Yes very good, in fact I would say it is the perfect wood for making a first one, nice and easy to carve but wears well enough. Split a log in half then remove all trace of the central pith before you start carving to avoid risk of splitting.

Lovely one in box elder Hoodoo, really nice crisp lines.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Right then time for a little visit......I'll just go empty the Volvo

I'm doing him a favour, hes a turner but I'm sure that he doesn't want to be bothered with all that green timber cluttering up the place :D

If I can get one half as good as any of these I'll post a pic........mind you, looking at Hoodoo's I don't think it very likely

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE