kuksa and spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
I hope that the following come through OK.
They are a little rough around the edges and need some sanding.
Both the spoon and kuksa have been boiled in salt water, after sanding I`ll finish with some linseed oil.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/culicoidis/774044ec.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/culicoidis/e6b48920.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/culicoidis/82310959.jpg

The finishing will have to wait until these two are on their own feet, rescued this Sunday last.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/culicoidis/0d646b9e.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/culicoidis/41385d1e.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/culicoidis/b45c8299.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
really nice Kuksa i want to make one now!
is it purely a carving job? it's just it's very deep i wonder if it was chizelled or drilled somehow?

as for the heghogs, very.....sorry i have to say this....aaaaaaaaa! :puppy_dog

very cute! i managed to "save" a hedghog last autunm, it was wandering around in daylight which i found a bit odd, after a quick google i collected the hedgie and took it to a local rescue center! "elliott" as my sone named it was found to be severely underweight, and covered in ticks, and would have died, but we know it had a safe winter in careful hands.

you guy's do a great job :35: !

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
really nice Kuksa i want to make one now!
is it purely a carving job? it's just it's very deep i wonder if it was chizelled or drilled somehow?

as for the heghogs, very.....sorry i have to say this....aaaaaaaaa! :puppy_dog

very cute! i managed to "save" a hedghog last autunm, it was wandering around in daylight which i found a bit odd, after a quick google i collected the hedgie and took it to a local rescue center! "elliott" as my sone named it was found to be severely underweight, and covered in ticks, and would have died, but we know it had a safe winter in careful hands.

you guy's do a great job :35: !

The kuksa was all hand carved, as the internal diameter is about 2.5" once it was started off it was easy to rotate the wood around the spoon knife. The knife is the one fron Woodlore`s web site, a present from my baby sis this Christmas.

It is not unusual to find hedgehogs during the day, they are active both day and night as the forraging and safety dictates. Though the only natural predator for an adult is the Badger (and un-natural infernal combustion engine), foxes will take younger ones. I think that is what happened here, I found the remains of the nest scattered and these two were the only ones in one piece, though the male is missing part of his bottom lip.
I haven`t named the two little ones yet, from long and painful personal experience it hurts a great deal more if they have names and then I fail to save them. Maybe when their eyes have opened and they have started to feed for them selves. All being well once they reach 600g plus they will be out into the garden, I will be building a hedgehog hotel to over winter in.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Great job! (the carving and the hedgies)
It's the first time I've heard about boiling in salt water (mind you I'm new to all this) - whats the reason for that?

best
Matt

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Matt,

It lifts those little fibres and grains in the wood. If you then re-sand with a fine grit you get a really smooth finish

At least thats what I hear!

Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Very nice job on the Kuksa. Looks excellent.

Culicoidis said:
The finishing will have to wait until these two are on their own feet, rescued this Sunday last.

I think this is going a bit too far though. Can you not just use sandpaper like everyone else? ;)

Reactions: BorderReiver

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
MattW said:
Great job! (the carving and the hedgies)
It's the first time I've heard about boiling in salt water (mind you I'm new to all this) - whats the reason for that?

best
Matt

It helps the curing of the wood so that it doesn`t split while it is drying. I have had one do that on me before, but some clear nail varnish sealed the cracks to make the noggin usable. Not pretty but functional.

Ian.

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
very nice, and good work with the hedgehogs, i rescued one myself a few years back, what wood did you use for the kuksa's? im quite tempted to make one myself
ALEX

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
odin13 said:
very nice, and good work with the hedgehogs, i rescued one myself a few years back, what wood did you use for the kuksa's? im quite tempted to make one myself
ALEX
The wood was from evergreen hedging I cleared from my garden, growth must have been 20 years plus. As far as I can tell they are a type of Cedar. The wood carves nicely, the bark once soaked to soften can be beaten to produce fibres that can be finger spun into decent cordage. I have been experimenting with soaking the wood and then pounding to seperate the growth rings, gives long flexible sheets that split length ways easily, these I hope to try to use for basketry.
Lots of plans but not as much time as I want. Work (the curse of the drinking classes) soaks up most of my time :( and my fiancee is jealously protective of the remainder. I am hoping to turn her towards bushcraft as a compromise.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was hoping to be near finishing the carving on mine and getting some pictures up when I decided to just carve a little more out last night. Big mistake, I didn't take into account the small indentation in the burl, and I now have a small hole the size of an apple pip, right at the bottom. I am considering plugging the hole with some pine resin and using it only for cold drinks, but we'll see.

I'm mega dissapointed with the whole thing, burls aren't that easy to get hold of out here in Deutschland! Ahh well, better luck next time!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE