Kukri

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think I have one of these somewhere i could part with if interested.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think I have one of these somewhere i could part with if interested.

Now that looks nice.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That’s what always let me down with most traditional kukri’s.

Yep , I find that one is too pointy in the pommel bit and " bites " into my oh-so-soft hand maidens palms..

Maybe I need to just creative with a dremel and grinder.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
I use a kukri, you can pick up a good deal on a genuine one from antique auction sites, avoid the lions head pommel and you can't go far wrong.

mimo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2020
London
I've handled quite a few khukuris and currently have just one (I tend to catch and release stuff until I get as close to perfect as I can imagine!). Most of the versions made by western companies are tacti-cool horrors with bad balance, often either overweight, or shapeless like a machete. The TOPS one looks awful. The Condor one looks at least like a legitimate shape.
Kukri House are the current supplier of service issue models to the British Army, which means they're legit, but also cheap: their stuff is usually stamped, a bit thick and heavy, tacky but robust. It won't let you down, but it's a long way from the best of its kind.
Someone mentioned Tora, who do excellent stuff by all accounts. It's a bloke down in Devon who imports them from a maker unknown. Other genuine, excellent makers are greatgurkhakhukuri.com and kailashblades.com. Along with cheap shonkers from KH, these are two I can speak highly of from personal experience. I also hear great things about Heritage (kilatools.com), and the owner of the business is a leading authority on historical models.
I did do a group buy last month on my FB raffle group, for a 13" sirupate style with full tang - super fast and agile in hand, but of course still pretty bullet proof in 5160. The only issue with 5160 (used by all the major Nepali makers) is that is rusts like hell if not oiled. I'd be happy to organise a group one here if there's interest - worked out at £99 all in, I don't make anything on it, but if I can get ten orders I can do a deal. My next one will probably be for something that looks more like the British Modern Service Issue (about 11" and a bit thicker, buffalo horn, stick tang), but is still hand forged and properly balanced like they used to be!

Reactions: TeeDee and Smudge

Danny25790

Sep 17, 2021
Kent
I own the condor k-tac kukri and it is an absolute work horse, I've also got a Gurkha issue kukri that was given to me as a gift in Afghanistan in 2010

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I use them a lot, in fact my 'big' every day kitchen knife is a KHHI 5th issue.
I like this fella for outdoors though. 00K.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE