Kukri

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Hi all,
Anyone using a kukri in their regular bushcraft? I’m looking at the Condor or Tops version in particular ( spending too much time watching Alan Kay from Alone season 1 :) ).

All feedback welcomed

regards

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So this one

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

?

Most of the TOPS stuff I've seen or handled ( in my opinion ) seems a bit cack...

The Condor maybe semi decent.

Can I ask what is selling you on the Kukri design?

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
I’ve handled a longer version, maybe 14”. Not sold on it yet but I’m thinking of carrying/trying another large blade. I have a Skrama but I’m in the mood to try another, different big knife and see if I like it.

Reactions: TeeDee

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The Tops one has the angles all wrong for proper use for me. Never handled a Condor version. But I’m in love with the Down Under model. It’s just a cracker. Hits that sweet spot of all rounder, practical and WTSHTF epic. Along with sweet lines and great ergonomics.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I’ve handled a longer version, maybe 14”. Not sold on it yet but I’m thinking of carrying/trying another large blade. I have a Skrama but I’m in the mood to try another, different big knife and see if I like it.
I was going to say and offer the use of my KHHI Bodyguard if you hadn't.

I completely get the 'want to try something new' vibe - I wanted to , and have tried the WSK concept which many scorn. Just needed to get it out of my system.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The Tops one has the angles all wrong for proper use for me. Never handled a Condor version. But I’m in love with the Down Under model. It’s just a cracker. Hits that sweet spot of all rounder, practical and WTSHTF epic. Along with sweet lines and great ergonomics.
I agree ref the TOPS - Most of their angles seem way too aggressive on nearly all their designs.
Blade geometry also tends to be in the Obtuse school of thought.

Reactions: JonathanD

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It’s just bizarre and unusable for anything. It’s like they looked at a Kukri, thought ‘that’s cool’ and ‘ let’s make it more Tracker like and we are in the $$$’.

Reactions: PoppyD and TeeDee

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
So have you given yours a beating Jonathan?
Oh yes. It’s where the belly lands when chopping that works for me. It’s just more workable than Kukris at more extreme/traditional angles. And if you need it, unlike a Kukri the tip has a better stabbing angle if you’re attacked by a bear, mountain lion or delinquent hedgehog.

The guards and handle shape make choking up for fine work or rear grip a dream for chopping. It’s a well thought out design. No one has really reviewed this knife, but it’s so well thought out and little known.

Reactions: PoppyD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE