Knot Booklet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

75RR

Jan 12, 2014
Caracas
Hi,
Have been working for a while on a Knot Pamphlet that, perhaps inevitably, morphed into a 40+ Knot Booklet.
Thought folks here might like to have a look.
It is a General Knot Booklet, but I think forum members will find several of the knots useful.
It is made available under the Creative Common License, so it is free, with the following conditions:
Attribution – Noncommercial – No Derivative Works

This is the download link:

http://goo.gl/c9dGuU

Suggestions will be noted for a (potential) future update.

Please let me know what you think.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
hello 75RR and thankyou for download, i am a keen knot tier myself so nice to have a fellow enthusiast on board. (i did note you correctly state that the carabiner on a bachmann is NOT to be used as a handhold because some people think it is). look forward to your future posts, ATB :)

75RR

Jan 12, 2014
Caracas
Thanks for the + StuMsg and Gooner and Joonsy

dave53,
if you still have problems PM me with your email and I will send you the pdf Knot Booklet.

Last edited:

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
fig19 bowline thats how I tie the knot but always thought its not a bowline as the end of the rope should finish on the inside like fig 18. just saying :) only got so far looking at the pictures, thanks for the upload

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Thanks, downloading now.

Edit: it wouldn't work at first, then copied it to my dropbox and it worked fine. I've had peculiar connection problems with dropbox before though. All OK now!

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
fig19 bowline thats how I tie the knot but always thought its not a bowline as the end of the rope should finish on the inside like fig 18. just saying :) only got so far looking at the pictures, thanks for the upload

well spotted david1, if the end exits on the outside it is not technically the standard bowline, that version is sometimes called the cowboy bowline, ashley book of knots state this is distinctly inferior to the standard bowline, in the climbing world and naval world you would be chastised and told it was wrong to tie it that way, my father served in the Royal Navy during the war and taught me various knots and insisted the bowline should always finish with the end on the inside. i have heard it said that the knot is more prone to slippage with the end exiting on the outside but i'm not sure if there is any evidence to support that, Fig19 is a bowline 'variation' of which there are many but not the 'bowline' per se. ATB :)

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I knew it was less secure,but how much less has never been a problem to me I have lowered several tons of wood with it. :)

Crank Cuffin

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2005
Bognor Regis
Wow, what a cracking book. I have a lot of knot books to compare to as well!
The diagrams are faultless.
I will definitely be using this with my Scout troop and Cub pack.
Thanks for sharing.

75RR

Jan 12, 2014
Caracas
david1:
but always thought its not a bowline
Tis a Bowline, ABoK 1034½ to be precise. People tend to refer to the ABoK 1010, or just 1010 for short , when referring to the “standard or common bowline” to clarify which bowline they are referring to.
It is sometimes called “the Cowboy Bowline” as Joonsy says, thought I find that moniker a bit negative and prefer its ABoK number or “left hand bowline”.
As to how secure it is, if a shifting load (those tons of wood of yours) were to ring load the loop (see page 22, Fig. 26), you would find the 1034½ handles it better than the 1010.

Thanks to david1, mountainm, Blaidd, woodpoet, Crank Cuffin and copper_head for your posts.

Crank Cuffin:
I have a lot of knot books to compare to as well!
Thanks for that!

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
I honestly didn't expect it to be so detailed and accessible, thanks to the OP for the amazing amount of effort put into this, and then giving it away for free. Thanks :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE