Knives/knife law.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I use an edge daily, from the first slice of bread for breakfast.
But, if the states go crazy and super Nanny, as long as I have a couple of inches of a sharp straight surface I will be fine. I have not used the point of a knife for years and years.

Check out

Knife of the future? ( with a different handle though)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
One interesting point of this debate is the diversity of choice, some prefer the basic bushcraft knife ( mora, woodlore, etc), and others prefer the larger, or more use defined blade, the fact there are so many different designs of blade prove just how essential they are in everyday life.

Each of us will eventually find the knife that suits our need, whether its a simple fruit knife or a large serrated blade knife, and I dont personally think that the choice of knife design determines the mindset of the person, more to the purpose of use of the knife itself, so simply banning a particular style or design of knife doesn't in my opinion prove anything, obviously if all knives where banned there would be less stabbings, etc, but only less by knives, the murder rate or killings wouldn't go down. yes the knife is easy to carry and easy to conceal, but so are screwdrivers, knitting needles, bike spokes, banning one type of implement just moves the problem onto something else, if everyone carried a knife I doubt the number of killings and stabbings would go up, as the miscreants who use the knives as weapons use them in the knowledge that the victims are in most cases unarmed.

I dont know how many people are killed by knives in the UK each year, but I do know most stabbings are usually carried out in domestic scenarios, anyone who has lived with my missus for 50 years can well understand why,

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mentioning other objects that would be used in the absence of knives brings to mind the lessons of past history. When weapons were banned on feudal Okinawa, the Okinawans adapted farm implements as weapons (nunchuks among them) In the late 19th and early 20th century ladies hatpins were commonly used. It's not just a matter of "where there's a will there's a way." rather it's more akin to trying to ban air.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
It's strange to me that some here don't think if people were legally entitled to carry any knife they liked in public, there wouldn't be an increase in knife crime.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Mentioning other objects that would be used in the absence of knives brings to mind the lessons of past history. When weapons were banned on feudal Okinawa, the Okinawans adapted farm implements as weapons (nunchuks among them) In the late 19th and early 20th century ladies hatpins were commonly used. It's not just a matter of "where there's a will there's a way." rather it's more akin to trying to ban air.

Implementsfrom the farm/homestead were always used in warfare. Dedicated weapons were only used by the richest.
Vikings, or I should call them by their proper name, Norse, used mainly the Ax in battle. Hunting spears.
Other cultures used the hunting bow and arrow.
Only after countries consolidated and organized, and developed organized armies, did they develop dedicated weapons for warfare.

Goes back millenia.

Reactions: santaman2000
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I feel the point that you want to get across to society is the miss use of the will, not the weapon you use to impose you will on others with, if you miss use that freedom, then you have to know society will be harsh with you and break your ill will, If you step across a line of fair manners then you loss those rights also, punishment needs to be enforced strongly and hard, society is not there to reform them, that they need to do for themselves, basically play nice children or be harshly cast out, and be let back in (maybe) once you have profoundly gained manners.

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Do you really think our European society will change the sentencing and severity of punishment and the prisons?

It seems it is going the other way. Goid food, all sorts of entertainment,
education, all free of charge.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Do you really think our European society will change the sentencing and severity of punishment and the prisons?

It seems it is going the other way. Goid food, all sorts of entertainment,
education, all free of charge.
Nope! most likely get worst and we may get to the point of just sorting things for ourselves.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It's strange to me that some here don't think if people were legally entitled to carry any knife they liked in public, there wouldn't be an increase in knife crime.

Just because people may be legally entitled to carry a knife, does not mean they are more likely to kill someone, and virtually everyone in this country can carry a knife legally anyway, providing it does not contravene the laws that prohibit certain types of knives, most of the knife crime is not done by decent people,but by miscreants and villains and these sort of people are not going to worry about laws that ban knives anyway............

I myself carry a perfectly legal knife, which is quite capable of killing someone, so the problem would be exactly what sort of knife would be banned in order to stop knife crime, I would be interested to know.?, .

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I am just as likely to use a small sharp implement to deliberately kill or hurt somebody as I am likely to deliberately kill or hurt with a large, heavy implement, a car.

These changes in law I find disturbing for one main reason: the State does not trust the law abuding, honest and generally good citizen.
Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fadcode

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I understand that there is a 'criminal class' for want of a better word. But does everyone think that otherwise good people do not commit crime?

I offer an awkward analogy.
We have speed limits, partly to reduce the number of car crashes and potential pedestrian deaths.
Do only 'bad' people drive too fast? Do normally good people not sometimes make mistakes?
If we removed all speed limits and let people drive as fast as they liked would only 'bad' people have more accidents or could otherwise good people get caught out too?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I understand that there is a 'criminal class' for want of a better word. But does everyone think that otherwise good people do not commit crime?

I offer an awkward analogy.
We have speed limits, partly to reduce the number of car crashes and potential pedestrian deaths.
Do only 'bad' people drive too fast? Do normally good people not sometimes make mistakes?
If we removed all speed limits and let people drive as fast as they liked would only 'bad' people have more accidents or could otherwise good people get caught out too?
We've had at least two states that did indeed have no speed limits until the 1974 fuel shortage. They had fewer accidents than the other states.

Reactions: Robson Valley

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Implementsfrom the farm/homestead were always used in warfare. Dedicated weapons were only used by the richest.
Vikings, or I should call them by their proper name, Norse, used mainly the Ax in battle. Hunting spears.
Other cultures used the hunting bow and arrow.
Only after countries consolidated and organized, and developed organized armies, did they develop dedicated weapons for warfare.

Goes back millenia.
One of the modern items would be a metal police flashlight (a full sized one)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE