Knife sharpening kit, what do you use?

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
i've been looking a quite a lot of knife sharpening stones, the Chinese water stones look really good but they seem quite expensive, the best deal i could find was 3 stones with rubber clamp and polishing stone for £99.99

does anybody no of where i can get one a bit cheaper or a alternative, What do you use???

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can do alot with the double sided 1000/6000 grit stone from Axminster. That will be more than enough TBH. You don't need the clamp if you use a modified mousemat.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
that is extremely helpful thanks, i've got the DC4, what do you mean by strop?

Getting annoyed when your last pass over the stone removes your carefully nurtured edge!

No, a strop is usually a leather belt, over which the blade is passed after using stones in order to remove the delicate wire edge burr that is left. This gives you a much stronger edge. If you add an abrasive compound to the strop (toothpaste, autosol metal polish or a dedicated stropping compound) This removes metal from the blade much faster and can be used for touching up a blade and getting a beautifully polished and even edge. I use a piece of cardboard from the back of a sketchpad loaded with autosol rather than leather for a strop.

Hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE