Knife scales size

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I've got an SWC bushcraft knife, same as the Woodlore, but pre-Ray collaboration. Had it since 2006 and its a user. The scales were done for me in Yew, after the birch scales I put on it just didn't feel right in my hand.

Anyways, as the years have gone by, I am thinking that the scales need to be fuller for my hand. It's like I can't grip the knife as tightly as I used to, so maybe I'm losing the strength in my hands. I work outside in all weather, so I've got (puts on broad Yorkshire accent) 'proper builders 'ands n proud of it!'.

Does anyone else find a fuller scale more beneficial? Is it worth it? I'm guessing I'll have to find a wider sheath as well......

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I cut my scales at 10mm. Once you add on the liners and tang, that gives me a good inch to play with. For most that's more than enough.

What's the measurement of the widest part of the handle you have?

A nice thick handle is beneficial when needing full grips for more powerful cuts, but not too thick as it can cause fatigue in certain areas of the hand.

Thinner handles are more beneficial on knives with require more nimbleness and wont be used for powerful cuts.

Yeah, if you up the handle thickness too much, you may need another sheath. Although soaking the leather, wrapping the knife in cling film and forcing it in will stretch the leather to some extent. So that just might do the trick.

Reactions: Van-Wild

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
My 'bushcraft' knife - made to fit my average size hands measures 27.3mm wide and 31.2mm deep at the palm swell (which is towards the front of the handle).

In front of the swell it drops to 20 W and 27 D and behind 19 W and 27 D.

It is used for hard cutting tasks, I use something smaller or a folder for more delicate jobs.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
You have to think about the thickness relative to the width as well as shape and texture. A knife handle that is 20mm thick but 30mm wide will be more stable Inthe hand (requiring less grip strength) than one that is 30mm wide and 30mm thick. Flat sides will also require less strength than a rounded handle.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I cut my scales at 10mm. Once you add on the liners and tang, that gives me a good inch to play with. For most that's more than enough.

What's the measurement of the widest part of the handle you have?

A nice thick handle is beneficial when needing full grips for more powerful cuts, but not too thick as it can cause fatigue in certain areas of the hand.

Thinner handles are more beneficial on knives with require more nimbleness and wont be used for powerful cuts.

Yeah, if you up the handle thickness too much, you may need another sheath. Although soaking the leather, wrapping the knife in cling film and forcing it in will stretch the leather to some extent. So that just might do the trick.
Silly question, but do I measure the wide part in circumference or just width?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
You have to think about the thickness relative to the width as well as shape and texture. A knife handle that is 20mm thick but 30mm wide will be more stable Inthe hand (requiring less grip strength) than one that is 30mm wide and 30mm thick. Flat sides will also require less strength than a rounded handle.
Sorry Dave, it's been a long day.....

Thickness and width? Arent they the same thing? Apologies but my brain is tired...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you can take the Yew scales off without damage you could try fitting liners and see how it feels. Or try bulking it up with strips of Duck tape to fill the areas you think might be low before you remove the pins and scales.

I had this with a re-handled Lion Steel. Luckily the scales were fixed with hex bolts so I put 1mm G10 liners under. Coloured liners can look really good, black or red under Yew looks great.

Unless the sheath is already very tight you might get away with wet forming it to the new handle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE