Knife Review - Churi (Nepalese trans: The Knife)

Rod

On a new journey
Here goes: we'll start with a pic or three....

churi_cross.jpg

churi_withsheath.jpg

churin_inhand.jpg

churi_tip.jpg

churi_handle.jpg

churi_insheath.jpg

As you can now see this is not just a lump of metal.

• 10 inches overall length
  • 5 inch or 12.5 cm long blade
  • Full tang
  • Rosewood handle
  • 5mm thick polished carbon steel
  • Convex Grind
  • 235 g in weight
  • Entirely HAND MADE in Nepal by a company owned/managed/staffed by ex-Gurkha soldiers/craftsmen
  • Cost: US$34.99 + US$22 shipping. In English: you get change of £38 all in!
What's it like:
Initially, I am blown away by just how substantial this feels in the hand. It has a tactile quality, as I found the fit in my hand extremely comfortable almost immediately. It is slightly heavy on the back end, but that is no problem. The tang is tapered down at the back end also. I have changed the sheath to something of my own construction: as it is supplied with something more traditional for the part of the world in which it is made. I don't think it will work as well in our wetter/damper climate. Came with an OK edge. Bit of a hone with a diamond file/strop and we were off to play...

In use:
WOW :D makes easy work of just about any job I have put it to so far. Making cooking jigs etc around camp, feather sticks, batoning are all easy with this. Doing fine work (not spoon carving) is easier than you may think too. Sharpening is reasonably straight forward. I have some bench mounted diamond stones on a mouse mat then strop to finish. The convex grind may not suit a bushcrafting greenhorn: but for someone looking for a knife to progress to: this one is a real contender IMO :cool: Wet & Dry on a mouse mat then strop will get you results. It holds its edge well.

The steel comes from reclaimed SUV suspensions: the same as the Gurkhas make their kukhris from. It rocks. Made in the traditional way by local craftsmen, they support their local tribal economy.

From placement of order, the goods arrived within 7 days. I was impressed.

Overall:
This is now my number 1 knife. I have to be honest: I took 'a punt' in buying this; but from the point of unwrapping it, it has exceeded expectations. I have been looking for a knife of this feel and build quality for a couple of years, but hadn't found anything that came close. It has the look and feel of a "user" and not a "keeper". It may not be a hyped as some knives that are available currently, but the Gurkhas do know a thing or two about knives and knife making ;)

For more info:
http://www.khukrimuseum.com/catalog/product.php?id=323130fc98

Hope that this is of interest

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Thanks for that review Rod. I've already glanced over these knives on a link before and wondered ....?

Just off to shake the piggy-bank , see if rattles enough !

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
hi rod i have the Survival Knife (Live) from them..the blade needed a bit of a shapen but it is a solid blade ..no worries about it snapping and easy to sharpen..and is you ask they will print anything you the blade that you ask for and i asked for a lanyard hole in the handle and they did that at no extra cost...

p.s if someone dose a group buy (don't look at me)for them you can get them cheaper (saving in postage and stuff)

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Great review Rod, I am getting one as well after seeing yours.

'Just to hjack your thread a moment.
If buying a Khukri for bushy use would you go 8" or 10" blade?
Jon R.'

Dave both Rod and I have the rosewood handled Suripate (most favoured) with the 12" blade. Its a bit thiner and lighter than the traditional fighting version. The rose wood handle is left rough for grip but to our delicate hands :240: it needs a bit of sanding down. They also dont mention that they have a brass inlay on the blade. Very handy bit of kit, if I had been familar with their knives I would have spent far less money over the past few years!

Sandsnakes

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
sandsnakes
Thanks for the info on Khukris 'I was thinking of either the SiruPate Slim UNP (Handy) or
the ChainPure (Domestic) .But I do like you choice of blade.
To the original thread.
Rod.
Just what I need is another knife. But after reading your review and only about $50 to my door. Well I'm thinking of another order here pretty soon.:eek:
Nice review by the way :You_Rock_
Jon R.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Suri Pate

http://www.khukrimuseum.com/catalog/product.php?id=333132fecc3

I have sharpened up the blade with a diamond file and it holds the edge well (just ask the bambo in my garden :) ) I found in use that the butt plate needed sanding down as it digs into the hand when you swing, after that its just a joy to use.

I will eventually go for a western style sheath as I find the traditional one not very user friendly, but thats just me others may find it does the job well.

Rod aka Sandsnakes

Dec 16, 2007
It is a good knife. I have one and also changed the sheath for a full bushcraft RM style one. I also have to Khukri's from these people and the customer service is second to none. if you want good kit at a good price then these are the people to deal with.

The only problem I had was with TNT in the uk that lost the knife first then found it later after police were threatend to be called due to the nature of the product.

Rod

On a new journey
The only problem I had was with TNT in the uk that lost the knife first then found it later after police were threatend to be called due to the nature of the product.

Interesting... Sandsnakes had the same problem with our order. I think an email to the guys at KH wouldn't go amiss: Let them know there are some dodgy feckers in the system ;)

cheers for the tip S99

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Hi all

I had a run in with TNT who delivered my stuff from Nepal to the wrong office and building in another part of town. Was not a problem with the Khukri house, infact when I told them they were so annoyed Khurkri's were drawn and an expediton to TNT head offices was being planned!

I think the driver was running a scam and was going to turn up a week later and 'reclaim' the parcel, by this time of course it would have been declared lost etc, etc.

So anything that comes from abroad that costs more than £18 postage even if it is a gift gets charged VAT. the shippers pay the VAT and then add a £15 service charge to the bill, with guess what... yes! a VAT charge added as well.

So moral of the tale do not buy a bundle of knives and make sure the postage is below the £15 marker, this allows of currency fluctuations.

This will not happen on a couple of knives, but if you are buying a couple of Khukri watch the weight, it could be cheaper to have two parcels sent rather then one.

Sandsnakes

Rod

On a new journey
How do you fit a "solid" bench mounted stone to a mouse mate so that you can sharpen a convex grind??

Looks like a excellent buy though.

Stu

Sorry for the confusion :eek: My "stones" are 5" x 2" oversized diamond files, I suppose you could call them. About 5mm in overall thickness. Just sit them onto my mousemat to stop them sliding about.

Hope this helps. (In truth can't be arsed to get the camera out just now, and do a photoshoot, sorry :( )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE