Knife recommendations?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Think for me I prefer the Hultafors (I have a GK) as I'm not a fan of the rubberised comfort grips that the Mora Companion has.
Not that there's anything wrong with the comfort grip as such, its just that I don't see the need.

Plus I just like the sheath that the Hultafors comes with.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
sorry to hijack the OPs thread but I'm trying to pick a cheap starter knife. thing is i much prefer the look and feel of natural materials on most of my tools.

so i was looking at these two

Rough Rider Drop Point Hunter
definately falls in the cheap category - sheath is a bit naff but it could be a good excuse to try leatherworking

Magnum Lil Hiker
more expensive but slightly nicer sheath

The second is shorter by 2cm overall but is inexplicably 1/3 of the weight!

also while i'm stealing the show - can anyone recommend a good cheap sharpening stone? preferably from that site!

thanks all

Chard

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
dc4 (can be found cheaper elsewhere) for the sharpening stone, i wouldn't go for either of those knives if you are a beginner as they both have secondary bevels to the blade and these take much more practice in becoming good at sharpening them, if you like the natural feel check out the Mora Classic#1 it has a wooden handle and you can get a version with a leather sheath for a few extra quid or buy the one with a mora classic #1 with a plastic sheath (you could prob find it cheaper than this elsewhere) and buy a leather sheath for under a tenner to go with it, that would be the cheaper option to get that knife in leather or as you said try your hand at leathercraft and make one for it

11011_2.jpg

Last edited:

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Also, if you're keen on traditional materials, and if you want a full tang version of the Mora Classic, you should look at the Condor Sapien.
If you have want something a bit fuller in the hand (like Hultafors Heavy Duty or Mora Heavy Duty Companion handle thickness), the Condor Bushcraft Basic 4 is my personal favourite.
If you want a bit more length in the handle, then the Condor Bushlore is a bit bigger all round - similar to Ray Mears' Woodlore Knife. This might be useful if you plan to baton with your knife.
I have all 3 and they're excellent quality knives with very good sheathes.
Definitely worth taking a look at...

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
is the mora classic 2 just slightly larger?

I don't really like the look of the handle on the classic but it looks like it would be easier to re-handle at a later date.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The one flaw with the handle on the classic is that in hand you can't tell whether you have it edge up or down.

Otherwise it is a terrific handle that is the most comfortable of any knife I've ever held.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
If you like a finger guard it's a good thing, personally for my uses for a knife which is mostly wood carving i find it gets in the way, i'd always thought they were for knives that were used for a stabbing motion so when the blade and handle were covered in blood like when cleaning an animnal your hand did not slip onto the blade, i suppose it could perform the same protective function when your hands got sweaty after using a blade for a long time it would stop your hand slipping onto the blade

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE