Knife recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 25, 2015
Bristol
Hey all,

I've been interested in getting more into branching out from normal camping and getting a bit more into bushcraft/survival stuff.

I've been looking at basic knives to add to my pack and would love some recommendations for a sturdy, cheap fixed blade. Mainly for batoning wood and stuff along those lines. A kind of 4-6in arounder? My knowledge of blades is practically zero, so any advice would be appreciated really!

- Jordan

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Yiiip agree with all of the above Mora Companion or a Hultafors Craftsman or Heavy Duty

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Mora Companion carbon steel model. I have a few Moras and Hultafors but the Moras -JUST- edge ahead. The Hultafors Craftsman and Heavy Duty (even with the weird double bevel grind) are pretty great for less then £6 each though! Also, idiot proof -especially in the field- sharpening on a scandi grind blade!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2015
Bristol
Thanks everyone! The Mora companion/heavy duty keep being the one's I've seen recommended so far! Do you think they hold up well against being used by an idiot? Haha! But in all seriousness, I'm wildcamping through europe for a few months this summer and will be using it quite a bit a imagine, are they durable enough for constant use? At that price I could always just buy 2 I guess, also for sharpening it, do I just buy any old whetstone, or is there more too it than that?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I baton mine relentlessly every time i am camping, whacked the crap out of to get through knotty logs many a time, so in answer to your question this idiot is yet to break one, pretty good for carving jobs too although these days i carry a Mora 106 carving knife for that purpose but my companion HD is used for everything else, grab a DC4 sharpening stone and you're laughing

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Since writing that i just dug mine out and sharpened 4 moras to razor sharp edges, they are dead easy to use and light enough to carry anywhere

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
+1 on that, love my bahco laplander, cracking bargain that the laplander is normally 16-20 quid by itself, i'm tempted to grab a set and i have absolutely no need of them, must have at least 10 moras kicking about and at least 2 bahco laplanders at last count

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Get a Mora 511; great for everything incl carving!

salad_fork.jpg

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Mora companions are great. The outdoor centre I work at uses them for bushcraft sessions, kids of all ages using them all the time, only takes a minute to sharpen them, and you can beat the hell out of them (knife not the kids ;) ) cracking knife for the price!

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I'm keeping an eye on this thread too as I'm in the same boat.

What's thepractical difference between carbon and stainless steel?

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Mora robust would be my choice, the thicker blade stock of 3.2mm is a bonus

974.jpg

Or an Enzo trapper is always good choice if you fancy spending a bit more, available in various carbon or stainless steels.

1536-2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE