Knife question for the makers

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Hi Is it possible to remove micarta handle put some liners on and re-use the them to make the overall handle bigger.??

Thanks and hope the question makes sense and I am by no means going to attempt it myself it's out of my skill set....😉

Sent from somewhere?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Depends how the handle is attached. If its just glue and pins you can put it in boiling water for a few minutes, they should pop off then. If they are bolted on then you might struggle to save the micarta.

Not sure how the boiling water will affect the micarta tbh, it might not do it any favours.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Thanks for the quick reply, the reason I ask is silly really cause I want to keep the knife as original as possible if that makes sense. But I find my hand cramps up when I use it after a short time so I figured maybe the handle needs to be larger?! Or I just need to persevere and hope my hand becomes accustomed? I don't know??

Sent from somewhere?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I boiled some micarta scales off once and was ok. Don't keep it in the water too long or it could seperate the layers by softening the epoxy.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If the handle is too small, you won't get accustomed to it, though you will get accustomed to cramps and hot spots :)

Try it, see how it goes.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
yhy9upug.jpg

This the knife and knowing how much people pay for them makes me dubious about doing it.

Sent from somewhere?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Is it a WS Woodlore?
If so not just straight pins holding them on and won't just pop off with boiling.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I suppose then it comes down to sell or customise!? Ok thanks for the replies everyone it's given me food for thought.

Sent from somewhere?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
That's just the position I was in. Wasn't the most comfortable of knives and much better available for less money than they are worth now.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just as an aside, I found knives with larger handles gave me more cramp than smaller ones.

rancid badger

You could always try (temporarily) building up the bulk and shape of the handle with duct tape, just to see if you need a bigger or smaller "handful" as it were, then once you've established what suits, go from there, be it selling to fund a custom knife or whatever.

cheers

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE