Knife protection.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
Hi,
To keep my knives clean/rust free I generaly put on squirt os wd-40. If I don't have any I rub it on the end of a candle to stop it rusting. My question is, if you where living in the wilderness for an extended pereod of time, with no candle or wd-40, what could you put on your knife to protect it?
Thanks,
JohnL

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I wouldn't use WD 40 for starters. I often use my knife for food prep, so that is the main reason, but I also heard that WD 40, which was designed to displace water, can actually have a corrosive effect on some steels.

Keeping the blade dry and clean would certainly help matters. If rust starts to develop, you could scour it with some sand, but a small camera pot with some olive oil and cotton wool in is a perfect little lightweight answer.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Not discounting that tip at all, but one problem with many vegetable oils is that they can gel and get sticky at low temperatures. Olive oil is particularly bad for this I think, having left a bottle in the fridge once by mistake, it goes cloudy first then gloopy.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've not had any problems with it myself, but to be fair I would use my knife several times a day and maybe only oil it at the end of the day if I remember. I've never had a knife go rusty on me so far, and the oil isn't on for long enough to go rancid.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
If it does go sticky just wipe it off and re oil, thats what I do, if you are not going to use your knife for food prep gun oil is quite good.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fat from your kill if you are realy in the wilderness....or rub a sheeps fleece over the steel - lots of grease in there.....rub a hazel nut or similar over the steel for its oils....
Lots of options realy...

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
Thanks, I will try olive oil, & sheeps wool is a good idea, hadn't thought of that.

I don't put WD-40 on my food prep knife, but I find it works well for cleaning after mucky tasks, & I have never noticed it corroding the metal. It says on the tin it will help protect.

Thanks for the tips guys.:You_Rock_

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mineral oil (pure) rather than olive oil is both food safe and will not go rancid (but I use olive oil too). I do use ren wax for longer term storage and its fantastic stuff - but I doubt it would be good mixed in food!

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
On machetes I use oil for chainsaw chain,and knives treat with lanolin.Heat it and then apply in thin layer,after cold,rub extend off.Very good water repellent.In extreme situation I would keep my knife dry and clean all the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE