Knife Making - Live and learn (from my mistake)

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Hi, I've been making a knife as some of you know (thanks for the valuable advice.)

The brass for the pins hadn't arrived and I was impatient. I used some drill bits to hold the knife together whilst I shaped the wooden scales. I did leave them slightly oversized to allow for final shaping once everything was glued though.

Today the brass arrived, so I applied the epoxy glue to all the parts and assembled them. Unfortunately when I was tapping the pins through the handle they ripped some of the wood open on the other side like this:

PA260001.jpg

PA260002.jpg

Fortunately it's not to bad, it just means that I will have to rub down the handle a lot thinner than I had intended.

This is the importance of patience I guess.
Putting the brass pins through with bigger chunks of wood (like this - below) would have saved this problem:

PA230016.jpg

The knife should be finished tomorrow. It's currently in my airing cupboard letting the glue cure. I'll post finished pictures when I can. I'm still undecided between bees wax or linseed oil (it's Oak.) Any recommendations?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'd go with linseed if that is what you have - lots of thin coats and let each cure before the next otherwise it can go tacky.

beeswax would make things sticky in my opinion

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
You can rub on beeswax to wood and heat it gently with a blow torch so that it melts into the warming wood. Then when it's cooled and dried you can buff it up removing any stickiness.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I stand corrected! :eek: - thanks for the info guys!

as you say Matt, you live and learn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE