Knife making kit - kids first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Buy the bits seperately from somewhere like moonrakerknives.co.uk. You can get a Lauri Carbon 95[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](M5112) for[/FONT] £11.95.

Mod a mora classic No: 1, or 601?

A Karesuando blade from greenbushman.co.uk, or moonraker , both carbon and stainless, also they have square shoulders for the bolster which makes fitting easier than the lauri.
If you want full tang again moonraker approx £15

For scales, blocks & fittings check ebay - mickwardell, michael18000, gortwood9188 (to suggest a few sellers I've used)

Or look at the sales sections here or British Blades

Jan 15, 2012
essex
I have seen kits for £30 i would say not a bad price, if your going to spend £12 to £15 on a blade plus postage on top, then get wood, fittings, bolster, leather, string, insert ect elsewere its going to cost more.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
both carbon and stainless, also they have square shoulders for the bolster which makes fitting easier than the lauri.
If you buy a Lauri buy the factory bolster too and follow THIS

At 5 though he willm probably be better waiting though as some the explorers making THESE at 14 ran out of steam actually a polar whittler would be a good idea and maybe make a finger gaurd bolster.

I would suggest one of THESE at the moment and mod it when he is older they are a great little knife and good for small hands.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks. I'm going to do most of the making with him helping out. I know it seems young but he'll be supervised at all times and is used to chopping veg with kitchen knives etc.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thanks. I'm going to do most of the making with him helping out. I know it seems young but he'll be supervised at all times and is used to chopping veg with kitchen knives etc.

In that case I hope you both have fun making the little man a new knife.

Ps he will think :You_Rock_

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Gave in to temptation and bought him a Brusletto Balder today. I'll dull the edge a little and round off the point before he see's it.

Will try and justify a new knife to make for myself now!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Dulling the edge will make it more dangerous. You'd be better off leaving it sharp & properly training/supervising him

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE