Knife making competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
dannytsg "I might have missed this point in the rules but does the completed knife have to have a sheath?"

i thought i should make one, since i wasn't fitting a handle.

angst, it's the first time i've managed to get a knife shave sharp, it also worked out nicely that the width of the sheath is just right to use as a strop, and i used the back piece for this while cutting the leather.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
As I've coincidentally just bought a blade to have my first go at fitting a handle, please count me in (in the extremely amateur category!)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
yup....of course i agree with all of that....very true (though technically you'd need to mine, purify, process the steel from the ground yourself to make your own flat stock to make that entirely true).....i certainly believe that to call yourself a knifemaker you should start at minimum with ground flat stock and cut out, heat treat and grind the blade.

a

SO if you forge a blade you're not a knifemaker? :p

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
cheers TurboGirl, i only went down to 600 grit, a good tip for small sanding projects is to use an old wine cork as a sanding block. the corks also make good handles for files, although you need to drink a bottle per file, but we must all suffer a little as we strive to learn :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Lannyman, good on ya mate, get that bad boy finished :You_Rock_

Mine is, shall we say, in a state of limbo. No rush as the closing date is december.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
so ... what did you make the blade from, capt.dunc?

hmmm, I think I may make lots of knives between now and December, trying to get a nice one... even though I am almost certainly going to loose, considering the prize and motivation...

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
My amateur entry is as follows:

Knife Blade: 8 1/4" stainless bowie blade with full tang and brass bolster - £9.95 from Heinnie Haynes

Purple heart handle scales: £7 the pair posted off the bay.

Brass rod from eBay - £3 including postage.

Clear yacht varnish: free off the parents.

Quick setting 2 part epoxy resin: local family bargains store - 99p

A grand total of £20.94 for materials

So I've decided to have a god at doing an iconic Bowie knife. People at wok have started calling me crocodile dan dee so I thought this to be a fitting tribute to that sentiment.

I started as I always do by checking, marking and fitting the bolster. Then i did the marking and roughing out of the shape of the scales. They were cut out and drilled before getting a rough edge sanding.

I encountered a problem on this in that 3mm rod was too small for pins and 5mm rid too big so I decided I'd buy the 5mm rid and I bored out the holes in the tang and scales.

The scales were then glued and clamped to the tang and then left to set dry and solid. Once the scales had dried they were rough shaped with a deemed and sanding bit and then finely sanded with progressively finer grits of sand paper.

I have left the handle on this nice and chunky as I have big hands but it is very nice to hold and has great balance around the bolster.

2 coats of clear yacht varnish has enriched the colour of the scales immensely after sanding them. Then they were sanded and buffed down to leave it looking as it does.

The final effort was to give the blade a full oil down and small wire wooling and to buff up the brass bolster.

Here is the finished result.

bcde92b1-10f7-fee4.jpg

bcde92b1-1104-07c1.jpg

bcde92b1-1111-60ee.jpg

bcde92b1-111e-3e06.jpg

bcde92b1-112a-092d.jpg

Tape measure for size comparison

bcde92b1-1155-3669.jpg

One showing how it fits in my hand.

Overall I really like this knife. I've put about 20 hours into it and the rewards are great. I'm also very pleased with the purple heart scales a the colour is all natural and I think the bras bolster and pins are a very nice compliment.

Hope you all like.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
very nice, i was tempted to buy one of those blades to see what they where like, but thought the steel must be a bit poop due to the low price....

your overall work is very good and the handle fits the blade very well....

:You_Rock_goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE