Knife/machete project! What design do you prefer?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I have a very large Martindale machete that I recieved this morning from a trade and figured it was a bit big for garden/camping use so I've decided to draw up a few designs that I could cut out/into it.

As it seems to be with all Martindale machetes the fit and finish is very poor but the steel is pretty good so I have no issues with cutting this one up to make it more usable! That and I love to recycle old stuff! :eek:

This is the machete as it is..

Jun23755.jpg

So after a few ideas I came up with what I consider the best options for it. The first idea is to shape it into a bolo style as I don't have one anymore.

A picture of it next to the Martindale no2 golok to help you get the idea of size and what it'll look like after it's chopped down..

Picture004-1.jpg

I'll also keep but reshape the handle if I choose this idea.

And the second idea I chose from was to make a type of camp knife/chopper and with the blade being so large there is enough metal to do both. I've taped and drawn on the lines to show the shape of the knives.

And for those pictures..

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture014.jpg

With the knife design coming from the original handle I'll reshape and refine the handle and with the second one, the big fat chopper I intend on cutting out the shape of a handle and fitting new wooden scales to it!

I can't really decide on what to do with it.. Bolo or camp knives?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for looking!

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Bolo. Your going to get yourself in trouble making the two camp knives and the one in the front will end up in the bin! Trust me.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
it won't get much use in its original form, so this seems mroe benficial to me.

what kind of problems? it being really soft?

yeah kind of, if you think how you use the knife as it is, big chopping, slashing, whipping moves if it was all as hard as the edge with the length it is you would probably bend it and snapp it in no time, where as with the spine being softER than the cutting edge it gives it a springy support to add resilience to the blade and give it overall strength. run a file down the spine you will most likely be able to mark it quite easily, then do the same with the cutting edge and you will see and feel the difference.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ah ok, thanks for the advice mate! it makes sense so I guess Bolo it is!

Thanks for the input fellas!

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
what he said

And another. Martindale kit is alright, so instead of destroying it, why not get it to someone who'd make use of it and then start from a better source to make a project.

FWIW I run a Condor Golok, and while it's not the prettiest nor one of the more expensive knives out there that some get all gooey eyed over, bloody hell, out in the field it just gets the job DONE.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I don't have alot of use for a tool of this size.

If anyone wants to swap it with me let me know as I haven't done anything to it yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE