knife I made

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stu Mac990

Dec 20, 2003
Stanley, Co. Durham, UK
Been working on this knife over the last few days, still needs a bit of work on the handle I think.
The handle is made from Elm and the 01 steel for the blade.

DSCF0138.jpg

DSCF0137.jpg

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nice, I like it :)
I reckon some of the edges on the handle could do with some rounding, but good work anyway :) have you treated the wood?

Stu Mac990

Dec 20, 2003
Stanley, Co. Durham, UK
Draven said:
Nice, I like it :)
I reckon some of the edges on the handle could do with some rounding, but good work anyway :) have you treated the wood?

I've used linseed oil on the wood. I hear a lot about this Danish oil, might get some of that to try out.

I've sanded down the handle a bit more now. Heres a photo next to the WS woodlore.

withwswoodlore.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
That looks very nice mate... i'm making my first knife next month... just ordered the scales. I like the unique shape of your blade, so often peoples knives are copies of you know who's ;)

Anyway, how did you get the steel? was it a blank from a sheet or part of a cars suspension? how many hours would you say this took?

Is it comfy to use or have you not yet had a chance to put it through its paces?

Stu Mac990

Dec 20, 2003
Stanley, Co. Durham, UK
Squidders said:
That looks very nice mate... i'm making my first knife next month... just ordered the scales. I like the unique shape of your blade, so often peoples knives are copies of you know who's ;)

Anyway, how did you get the steel? was it a blank from a sheet or part of a cars suspension? how many hours would you say this took?

Is it comfy to use or have you not yet had a chance to put it through its paces?

I got the steel from Cromwell tools. using a 3x30x500mm Ground Flat Stock section. Theres branches through out the UK.

I started the knife last Friday, but just took my time. I'd say it took about 12 - 16 hours from cutting the steel to treating the handle.

I've not put it to any use so far, only cutting hairs on my arm :rolleyes: I put the dip in the top of the blade for more control with the thumb!

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I like the shape and style of both of those.My only critisism is the lack of character in the wood.
Linseed oil is good for the handles but you need to apply lots of coats to get a similar look to Danish oil.
Many Happy returns and as its your birthday, if you pm your postal, I bung you some better wood for your next knife.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure I agree with you there BB - there something...hmmm...unfussy about that knife. Clean lines, functional. I get the thought of "if you are going to do all that work, use a really nice bit of wood", but equally I like the "not flashy" aspect. Respect for the offer of the wood mind you ( you are a nice bloke - think it must be the neighbours :D ). I'm liking the thumb ramp a lot too.

Did you do your own heat treatment Stu?

Red

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
when i forst looked at it i must admit i didn't think it the prettiest thing, but then i was thinking i could happily sit and whittle for hours with something like that... need you more praise my man? nice knife!!!

Stu Mac990

Dec 20, 2003
Stanley, Co. Durham, UK
British Red said:
Not sure I agree with you there BB - there something...hmmm...unfussy about that knife. Clean lines, functional. I get the thought of "if you are going to do all that work, use a really nice bit of wood", but equally I like the "not flashy" aspect. Respect for the offer of the wood mind you ( you are a nice bloke - think it must be the neighbours :D ). I'm liking the thumb ramp a lot too.

Did you do your own heat treatment Stu?

Red

I done the heat treatment on my BBQ with a little help from a hair dryer.

Its only my 2nd knife,(bottom knife in photo was my 1st one I done, on a knife making course see this thread ) I choose Elm as my confidence towards working with the wood is not great. I have a piece of Lignum Vitae, which I'll consider using next.

Bob, thanks for the offer of the wood, I'll PM you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE