knife hygiene.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
So a lot of us use our knives for whittling wood, digging for pig nuts, cutting whatever we want, even cutting into possibly poisonous fungi to test if they are edible, but we also use them for preparing food so my question is this: how can I make sure that after everything I have used my knife for, it is still safe to cut and prepare food with? I don't want to be having to carry round a bottle of washing up liquid everywhere I go :p it would also be handy if there was a way I could clean it so that I can just whip my knife out and use it straight away rather than getting it out then cleaning it/whatever then be able to use it for food.

Thanks,
Asa.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I carry mine in a knife condom. ;)

skookum_carver_s30v_b.jpg

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
If I have been prepping food I either wash mine in soapy water or wipe it down with anti-bacterial wipes before putting it back in the sheath

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
But what about after cutting into things that are pottentially poisonous?

If you wipe your knife clean the chances of accumulating enough toxin to do you harm is pretty slim in most cases. I have never heard of a case where someone died or became ill by transferring toxins from their knife to food, at least not since the Roman Empire. :lmao:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
So should I use an antibacterial wipe or just wipe it on some cloth or what? I want to be certain that I'm safe no matter what I've been doing.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
So should I use an antibacterial wipe or just wipe it on some cloth or what? I want to be certain that I'm safe no matter what I've been doing.

As long as you keep your knife clean (wipe it with on a cloth, rinse it with (hot) soapy water) after you've cleaned game / fish / food, you'll be OK.

If you are still in doubt, you can pass it through the flames of a fire to sterilize the blade. Though I don't know whether or not that could influence the heat treatment of the blade :confused:
This technique only kills bacteria etc. (and probably not even all) - but doesn't has any influence on toxins, I dare to think,

Therefor you could use a smaller blade, that you solely use for food prep. And no - you won't look silly ;)
The spine of a food prep knife is usually less thick, which makes is easier to cut veggies and the like, as compared with a Fallkniven F1 knive that makes it a hard job (though it's do-able) in slicing a tomato.

HTH

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
If you can;t be bothered with carrying anything extra... a few swipes on moss will help. Moss has antibacterial properties and contains water to clean effectively, that's what I do and I've not got ill.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Surely you've just provided yourself with the best ever excuse for buying a second knife.......

The trouble comes in holding yourself to only two knives for all bushy activities.:eek:

ATB

Ogri the trog

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
If you are still in doubt, you can pass it through the flames of a fire to sterilize the blade. Though I don't know whether or not that could influence the heat treatment of the blade :confused:
This technique only kills bacteria etc. (and probably not even all) - but doesn't has any influence on toxins, I dare to think,

OK, how about this then:

Put a couple of inches of water in your dutch oven (we all carry one, don't we!), put your knife in and wire the lid on securely. Put on fire. We now have a 'bushcraft autoclave'. Let the water boil for 10mins before cooling and removing knife. If you are _really_ fussy, you could wrap the knife in aluminium foil before putting it into the dutch oven. This will ensure that it remains sterile until you want to use it.

Or am I just being silly?

Jim

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
The only thing that worries me there is if I can't get any hot water or soap.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much...

What about using those antibacterial no-water hand gels? that would cut down the weight as I would carry a small bottle of that for my hands anyway.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a little TK4 which I use for food prep only, my main knife then gets used for everything else.

LIke Michelle said though, moss is good for cleaning with.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Theres more to this than meets the eye
I personally just wipe my knife (ahem ;if even that in reality) when out and about.
Then wait till I get home for a thorough cleaning an touch up ready for next time.

But I have to admit I am always suprised how much cleaning a knife needs after even a days hard/multipurpose use
Actually truth be told its part of the fun
Thats why all my knives are Users I have no Drawer Queens
Made me think about bacteria a bit; luckily I have an easy source of anti bacterial wipes which are suitable

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE