knife help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 5, 2009
nottingham
hi all im pretty new to bushcraft but have always loved camping and been in the outdoors.
I am after some help on finding a decent reasonably priced knife and the laws controling the carrying of a bushcraft knife as i have looked on the net and found too may different opinons on the laws to blades.
1 knife i have been looking at is the Rough Rider Full Tang 9-1/2" Knife made by cumberlandcutlery in the states if anybody knows anything about them.
any help and advice would be more than welcome .
cheers.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Hi there

is this the knife you are talking about: (4 1/2 inch stainless blade)

RR844.jpg

because I prefer the look of this one: (3 7/8 inch stainless blade)

RR-176.jpg

although I suspect most people here will advise you to get a mora clipper for starting out purposes:

MoraClipperBlackGreenStainlessNew.jpg

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
You are better to start out with something like a mora as everyone always makes mistakes when starting out with knife use or sharpening and the Mora's are pretty bomb proof....

In terms of the law this is how i understand it in a nutshell (if i'm wrong someone please say)....
Uk law says you are aloud to carry a knife under 3.5 inches on you but that it is not aloud to be a fixed or locking blade (this may of changed recently) so a swiss army knife is fine.

If you do have a knife with a locking or fixed blade on you with any size blade you are only aloud to carry it with good reason.
So if your walking into Tesco with a machette strapped to your leg thats a no no, as you have no reason to have it....
If your on your way to or in the woods as long as you are using it sensibly and not threatening anyone or using it in a threatening way this is fine but this is one of the reason why i think alot of us try and do bushcraft away from populated area's where we will not bump into people. Seeing men dressed all in green with axes and knives is never a nice surprise for people unless your lost in the words and trying to find a meet....

Whatever knife you go for as long as you take care of it, it will always take care of you.
A bit of common sense in using it and you'll be fine, a knife is a tool except in the wrong hands.

Have fun and be safe

J

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
In terms of the law this is how i understand it in a nutshell (if i'm wrong someone please say)....
Uk law says you are aloud to carry a knife under 3.5 inches on you but that it is not aloud to be a fixed or locking blade (this may of changed recently) so a swiss army knife is fine.

If you do have a knife with a locking or fixed blade on you with any size blade you are only aloud to carry it with good reason.
So if your walking into Tesco with a machette strapped to your leg thats a no no, as you have no reason to have it....
If your on your way to or in the woods as long as you are using it sensibly and not threatening anyone or using it in a threatening way this is fine but this is one of the reason why i think alot of us try and do bushcraft away from populated area's where we will not bump into people. Seeing men dressed all in green with axes and knives is never a nice surprise for people unless your lost in the words and trying to find a meet....

Not quite right. An every-day-carry pocket knife has to have a cutting edge under 3", not 3.5. Obviously taking a knife to a nightclub is stupid regardless and could get you done. If you give your knife to a bouncer going into a club they're under no obligation to give it back, either. In the same vein, if you get in a fight while carrying a knife of any description you could get done for carrying an offensive weapon.

Also, 'on your way to' the woods is not an acceptable excuse for openly wearing a lock knife or fixed blade. You don't need it at that time, so you can't wear it. You can only transport it. Similarly common sense must be applied. Carrying a machete to work to open boxes of crisps is not a reasonable excuse.

Switch blades, flick knives, gravity knives, balisongs, all illegal to carry irrespective of the situation.

You'll get anomalies in some cases where a cop will be lenient, but you'll also get anomalies where a cop decides to hold you personally responsible for his ****ty day. So best to go by the letter.

More on topic, Rough Rider folders are great knives but all I've heard about their fixed blades is that they're rubbish, so I'd recommend the Mora too!

Pete

PS: Or, as Hoodoo said, the Enzo if you're willing to spend a bit more, they're awesome knives!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE