Knife handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Last week I fell in love with the AB Bushcrafter :naughty: ... I contacted Allan about the several handle options that are available and some other specs (and his reaction was almost faster than the speed of light!! :biggthump).

The following handle options are available:
- Black canvas micarta Allan's site
- Hard maple (standard)
- Curly maple post by Jake Rollnick, #7 & 17
- Bacote
- Ipe
- Cocobolo post by Andy, #1

Does anyone has a (knife) pic of the above mentioned handle materials? (No specific need for the knife to be a Bushcrafter :wink: - although it would be great to have a(nother) thread dedicated to this beautiful knife).

Did a search myself on the forum and found some Bushcrafter's (MagiKelly ) - but it isn't yet all clear to me ... :?: So I hope you lads (& gals) can enlighten me :wink: (no ... without set something alight :yikes: ... you pyromaniacs :nana: )

Last edited by a moderator:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
http://www.bladecutlery.net/bladecutlery1_008.htm

The stripy handle is Bocote

semiscandi.jpg

That is Cocobolo

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Andy, Chris & Stew thank you very much lads, makes my decission making lots easier :wink: - I really like that cocobolo wood :naughty:

Also found this piccie, posted by Martyn on this thread (post #9)

wood.jpg

From left to right: '2x pieces of thuya burl, some artificial ivory, african black ebony, amboyna burl, some beautiful macassar striped ebony and a piece of cocobolo.'

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
MagiKelly said:
If you like dark wood handles the Cocobolo is definitely the way to go.

cocobolo is a git to sand as the high extractive and rezin/wax content really fills the sand paer up but it have lovely figure and get s smooth finish right away

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I haven't found cocobolo to be any worse than Bocote for clogging sand paper. Niether is as bad as thuya for that. Using the high quality anti-clog paper is a must, and I often sand with wet & dry using water to prevent the worst of the clogging.

There can be a lot of variation in cocobolo both in colour and density. I have some which is orange, some that is almost a dark red wine colour, and some that has orangy-white bands. Some shows pores, some does not.

There is also a lot of variation available in bocote. The stuff I have seen sold in this country has all been very straight grain for wood turning. In the US, when it was intended for knife handles, they had found peices with lots of grain swirl.

All of which is pretty irrellevant if you are buying a knife. All that matters then is what the maker is actually going to use, not what the range of wood is like, or how difficult it is to work. I haven't seen much difference in durability, or hardness/oiliness between cocobolo and bocote. There might be some, but I haven't seen it. For me it just comes down to which I like the look of. Maple is pretty, but unless its stabilised it isn't as durable.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
The appearance of a plank or block gives some clue to the look of a particular wood, but once shaped, the effect of the grain may be a bit unexpected.

The pics in magikelly's thread about the AB runt are spot on. My own scandi packpal was also made with cocobolo and looks just like John's picture. The layered grain is emphasised by the contours of the handle and looks stunning.

Cheers

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I think wood as a scale material almost always makes for a more aesthetically pleasing knife but i have found my micarta woodlore to be very practical and i would probably favour micarta on a knife that i intended to use a lot.
Especially if it will be used for preparing game or fish.

397_9796_a.jpg

I just paid Allan for two knives so im expecting them in a week or so.
One with micarta scales and the other with a wood and micarta handle so i will post some pics when i get them.

rb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE