Ok I have finished fitting a handle to the japaneese kitchen knife I got but I need to seal it with oil now. I have looked on British Blades and they have a whole thread but people use mixes of several types of oils and I don't want to buy a load of different things just for the one knife. They have also been really helpful so far and I didn't want to push it with another load of questions.
So what is a basic oil which will look decent? But remember it is a working kitchen knife so it doesn't need to be perfect although it won't go in the dishwasher ('cos I don't own one) it really just needs to be hardwearing.
I have some raw linseed oil but what is the difference between that and boiled linseed?
Thanks in advance guys.
Bill
So what is a basic oil which will look decent? But remember it is a working kitchen knife so it doesn't need to be perfect although it won't go in the dishwasher ('cos I don't own one) it really just needs to be hardwearing.
I have some raw linseed oil but what is the difference between that and boiled linseed?
Thanks in advance guys.
Bill

. Due to the length of time involved, and the processes needed, (boiling, additions to the oil, specific application techniques) linseed is hardly a convenient finish. It is used by master craftsmen who want to let the grain of the wood show and are not concerned with time.