Knife handles - LIstening to the missus?

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Hi,

I am currently looking into making a handle out of either yew or oak wood. MY significant other tells me that you have to dry it for months/years before use. I personally don't believe this (I just think that she wants to avoid another messy patio/ lawn!). The only reason I am checking is that women in general seem to always be right about things they don't know about!

Regards,
No sexist offence intended,
Ph34r

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
She's right, months at least for Yew. I put a bit of yew on a handle and it shrunk quite a bit so had to rehandle it. Holly doesn't seem to shrink as much, don't know about Oak. You can however buy pre-seasoned wood from suppliers such as Mick Wardell or Jean among others

Cheers,

Alan

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm tight and in for the long game I'm afraid. I buy it by the plank at woodfairs (part seasoned) and then re-mill and store it :D

Though when I need something odd or special that I don't have, then I buy it from Jean :) She understands what knifemakers wants whereas most wood suppliers only sell for turning or furniture.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
I believe the normal expected drying rate of English hardwoods is approximately an inch a year. That's the rule of thumb we use when working wood and when leaving it to dry. I have a fair bit of Yew and Oak that has been dried if anyone wants to visit and pick some up.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I believe the normal expected drying rate of English hardwoods is approximately an inch a year. That's the rule of thumb we use when working wood and when leaving it to dry. I have a fair bit of Yew and Oak that has been dried if anyone wants to visit and pick some up.
:( This could be a good excuse for coming for a visit from East Anglia goodjob

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You can season wood much faster indoors but it needs to be as small in diameter as possible. When the weather is good i can dry a bow stave indoors in a few weeks, maybe a month and a half at most. If you weigh the peice every few days it will eventually stop loosing weight, once its stopped loosing weight for about a 3rd of the time its been drying then you should be right.

There is more chance of warping and checking using this method but it is possible and i do it quite a bit.

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
Just a word of warning if you decide to use Yew. ALWAYS wear a dust mask it can be very harmful.

On the plus side it looks great when finished.

HTH.........Ian

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Im rather fond of yew. I left mine to season as a large stem for a few years, before use but if you rough out the handles then leave under cover outside for a few weeks/months all should be well.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Just a note on how pretty Yew is when freshly worked and finished. After a few years of exposure to light the wood will become considerably darker until it is chocolate brown and has lost a lot of the beauty it once had.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE