Knife Handle Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi there,
I'm sure this thread has come up a thousand times before, but here we go again. I have made the decision to try and handle a knife. I was considering the Mora Scandvik 12c27 blank, its cheap and of decent quality. Is there any other relatively cheap blade blanks around that are decent? <£30> The second question I ask is whether or not pine is a suitable material for the handle (there is an abundance very close to where I live) Is it too soft? Would Beech be suitable alternative?
I'm all kitted up with files, araldite and sandpaper I just need to get down to ordering the right materials and get through the next batch of my AS Level exams.

Thanks, and sorry for yet another question on knife handling,

outdoorpaddy

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I wouldn't use pine - too soft. Beech was (and still is) used for various tool handles, so I'd be happy with beech.

Cheers

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
You could try getting hold of sample pieces of solid wooden flooring, for evaluation purposes of course...
Oak, Beech, Walnut.
Old knackered chairs can be a good source of hardwood also.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Ye, i had my suspicions about pine, I do have an old axe handle which I think is made of Beech, I would just wonder if it would be big enough to get the required volume of wood and thanks for the link Nathan. That idea of solid wood floor samples, Demographic, very sneaky lol, I'll look into that for future projects.
Just as a side note, I was not very happy today when I went looking for a 5mm brass rod for the pins for the handle in B&Q, all that was available was about a 0.75m length for £17. You would think you could get a few brass pins in a hardware shop for dirt cheap but apparently not. Annoyed me a bit.

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
I think your axe handle would probably be hickory or ash, still both god materials, sometimes pallets from the far east are made from tropical hardwoods and can be good finds, old leather belts can be good sources of handle materials and spacers too, and old door furniture can be a good source of brass plate for bolsters.

getting hold of brass rod can be a bit of a bugger though!

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Ye I think you're probably right about the axe handle, I'm rather inexperienced when it comes to wood grain identification. It seems knife making materials are everywhere, as you say, old belts, door furniture, but no Brass pins!

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
try Homebase mate, they normally have a reasonable selection of thin rod, don't know about the prices though. Or that hardware shop opposite the back gates of Asda, wonderful place, has lots of goodies in there.

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
Hey Paddy,

For a lot of my knives I've used Helle blades (quality Norweigan, all around £20 including shipping from the US)
http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/K...15&_stpos=pr1 1xa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&gbr=1

Or you could order from Brisa as mentioned and pick up some sexy wood at the same time (I recommend Ironwood or curly birch/birch burl. Again, eBay also has a great selection at better prices http://shop.ebay.com/sdcwoodworking...3A1&rt=nc&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1514)
Those scales are for full-tang blades, haven't done one yet myself but I get the impression they're easier than stick-tangs.

Good luck, and be sure to give us eye candy when it's done :)

Last edited:

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I've heard good things about Helle blades, I'm more going for a full tang for my first knife though, and as you say, Brisa is very good, although i looked on English Handmade Knives which seemed to have most things on Brisa, only based in the UK, so I ordered the Mora Scandvik 12c27 blade blank, steel rod, green liner and some American walnut, hopefully I wont make a complete hash of it and I'll see about getting pics up if it turns out alright, dunno about eye-candy, probably more eye-porridge. I may use the axe handle i mentioned before and keep the walnut for when I am a bit more competent, but for now, exam revision!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you are after making a basic handle, you can't go wrong with a bit of fruit wood (apple, cherry, pear). Yew also works well.

I put a handle on a spoon knife recently - just drilled out a slot in the wood until the tang fitted in (covered the blade with masking tape first, then filled the hole with epoxy putty and pushed in the tang. Left that for 24hours, then whittled the handle to shape.

Why whittle the handle after inserting the blade? Well, I was drilling the slot with a hand drill and no vice to hold the wood, so it was hard to guarantee that the slot was perfectly aligned along the length of the wood. By putting the blade in first I could whittle the wood to match the position of the blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE