knife damage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

tommy11

I got a Dajo survivor knife the other day..there's a couple of reviews of it on here.

Anyway I was kind of batoning a piece of kindling wood that had a knot in it and when I finished I noticed the edge of the blade is slightly bent now....must have hit the knot.

Does this mean it's a crappy knife like cheap steel or was it simply misuse on my part?

Sorry no pics.

T

tommy11

Yeah I was really going at it bashing the blade down I would say....

It was a tough bit of wood...

T

tommy11

Yep the sharp edge of blade is slightly bent off to one side...

It's made of some chinese steel says 7Cr17MoWV which i have heard contains tungsten...

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I damaged one of my knives like that - hit a knot but I kept hammering away and bent it.
I'd say I was guilty of misuse.

T

tommy11

The knife is still perfectly useable...so I'm not too bothered.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA

It's made of some chinese steel says 7Cr17MoWV which i have heard contains tungsten...

Did it also come with a Chinese heat treat? :hatscarf: Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances eh.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Cr Chromium
Mo Molybdenum
W Tungsten
V Vanadium

Of course anyone can engrave or print a label on anything, that says anything. The Chinese, or so I'm told, frequently do. :(

It does sound like you were being a bit rough with it, but on the bright side you seem to be taking it with good grace. I'd probably tap it gently with a big hammer on an anvil to see if I could straighten it back out, but if it still cuts things and it doesn't seem unsafe in use it's no big deal.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I'd probably tap it gently with a big hammer on an anvil to see if I could straighten it back out, but if it still cuts things and it doesn't seem unsafe in use it's no big deal..."

I think tommy11 is saying that the edge has folded, not that the blade has bent.

:)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Stories like this make me worry about the abuse i give my main knife- including a lot of battoning. I suppose being a fairly thick blade (a fallkniven S1), it has more of a wedge effect, so the actual edge might have an easier time. Still, i suppose i ought to be more careful.

OP- what were you battoning down into? if it was a hard surface (or into the ground with stones)- maybe that could be the explanation? (or even if you were truncating rather than battoning into one of those surfaces?)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I think tommy11 is saying that the edge has folded, not that the blade has bent.

Yes, I understand. The same thing happened to an early FKMD Parang XL of mine. I straightened it out reasonably well on the anvil but Heinnie replaced it with an improved version anyway. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE