Knife competition scandi (pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
We had a friendly competition at bushcraft USA. We were given a couple months to build a knife and enter it anonymously and members could vote. I had never made a knife before nor a sheath for a normal knife, but, having experience in sculpting, jewellery and carpentry helped I guess. Anyway, this was my effort, which netted me third place. Pretty chuffed for a first knife.

OAL: 194mm
Blade length: 75mm
Blade material: Swedish carbon steel, laminated with high carbon core, hand forged (approx. 59 - 60 hRc)
Handle material: Reindeer antler, aluminium, leather, curly birch
Finish: Danish oil

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
First knife! :eek: - that's cracking mate - the other two must have been out of this world! ;)

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
They were, but I liked mine best... of course!!!!

It will actually be a gift to my son when he turns 18 (he is 14 months now). I have started wearing it and it has become my edc bush knife so that it will have been "lived in" by me when he gets it. I have a few more on the go as I think I've caught the bug!!

Paul.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
Thanks Dave. I would like to add that I DID NOT forge the blade. On future knives I may but that is a blade I purchased at the smitty (which is 30 yards from my house).

Paul.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
we dont seem to do many knife comps on here do we? i think we should do more if they mean the creation of stunning knives like this!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That is excellent for a first, nice combination of materials in the handle gives it a good effect and the shape sets it off nicely. The sheath looks well made and tidy,

Superb effort mate :)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Wow, wow... That's the best present a kiddo could get! Your son is lucky and you are handy!!! :) big respect, well done!

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was a first knife but i have had experience working with metal, and natural materials so that came in handy for this project. I did go a little overboard making it look purdy' but i want it to be special for my son. My next knives have been simplified but I have put greater emphasis on the fit and finish and have also improved the leather work. Pictures will be coming soon.

Paul.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
Now that's a lovley knife!!!
Great job!!!!

Where in Norway do you live?

Jontok

I live near Rjukan in Telemark in a little town called Mæl. I am an Australian who married a Norwegian girl so she worked her wiles and we ended up here. What about you?

Paul.

jontok

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2009
Norway
These Norwegian girls always get it their own way, don't they? :)

I live alittle south of you... Just outside Kristiansand.
Seen any good Telemark-knives yet? :D :D

Jontok

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
These Norwegian girls always get it their own way, don't they? :)

I live alittle south of you... Just outside Kristiansand.
Seen any good Telemark-knives yet? :D :D

Jontok

I have actually. There are a few really good knifemakers at the knife club. Also, I know 2 people with knife collections with some knives around 200 years old. I'll try get some photos when I can.

As for Kristiansand... I love that city. I can't stand Oslo but I could happily live in Kristiansad because it's so much cleaner and nicer.

Paul.

jontok

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2009
Norway
As for Kristiansand... I love that city. I can't stand Oslo but I could happily live in Kristiansad because it's so much cleaner and nicer.

You should come visit some time...
I'm actualy born and raised in Oslo, but moved down here last summer.
I now live a mile or so east of Kristiansand. A mile to Kristiansand zoo to the west of me, and as mile to Lillesand the other way... It's quiet, and quite nice here, especially in the summertime :D

Can you post some pics of the more elaborate telemarks knives? The ones for Bunads and the like?
I'm not shure if any of the other forum-members have seen what a "dressed up" scandi can look like :D :D

Jontok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE