Knife blade shapes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
This is a question that has often bothered me.

I know that there are many different blade shapes, and I can recognise one or two - lambsfoot, tanto - but what are the 'normal' or traditional shapes and what are their main uses?

Also, what blade is best for whittling (minnows and plugs) and what for removing breast meat from a bird or the rear legs off a rabbit?

Thanks for any help.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
nobby said:
This is a question that has often bothered me.

I know that there are many different blade shapes, and I can recognise one or two - lambsfoot, tanto - but what are the 'normal' or traditional shapes and what are their main uses?

Also, what blade is best for whittling (minnows and plugs) and what for removing breast meat from a bird or the rear legs off a rabbit?

Thanks for any help.

I am surprised that no one has replied to this one yet.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
we're all googling it :lmao:

seriously though, I didn't know there was one shape... every region has its own style and type based on what materials there are to be cut. even down from maker to maker there are changes in style and form. :dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE