Knife blade problem

Devon8822

Apr 20, 2008
Canada
I have noticed on my knife and other knife that when I run my thumb across it to see how sharp it is, it seems sharper when going in one direction and duller from the other direction. I am trying to figure out what this means and what exactly I am doing when I am sharpening it to cause this. Is it even a bad thing? It is particularly noticeable closer to the handle of the knife, where one side seems sharper. I tried checking it visually to see if the edge was uneven on one side, but as far as I can tell with my eyes it looks fine. Any help is appreciated!

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
im no knife maker and not knowing what sharpening method you use, i'd say under magnification you would see a burr. try stropping it to even it out, no doubt you will get many informed replies soon :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
yep ,sounds like a burr. A burr is fine metal on your edge that's become bent over! ooh er!

My advice is sharpen it, then pull the blade edge across some hard wood, then strop. after that it should be gone and your knife will sharper and more even than before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE