Kitting up so as to not scream "I'm a tourist"

May 28, 2011
Chelmsford, Essex
I'm about to go on another backpacking thing across Russia/Mongolia with a bit of luck and after my last experience touring around Latin America I quickly realized that urban bushcraft (read paranoia on not being not being stabbed for looking like you've stepped out of the outback) was incompatible with the more common form of bushcraft (looking in ones element, rucksack and all in the wilderness).

Since I'm going traveling again (and taking half the stuff I had, but investing perhaps in better cooking equipment and non-army surplus boots.) I thought I'd posit the problem of kitting up to go on such tours when you move from desert, to temperate or jungle and back again. Is it possible to be flexible through all three and perhaps invest in clothes/brands/rucksacks when you get there rather than buy all your stuff more expensively in the UK?

Although, I'd fear that meerly looking the part and not knowing the language might also end up in me looking like one of the police Sargents out of Allo' Allo'. But it does seem like a practical consideration beyond this is versatile to help me cope in the wilderness..

Answers in a postcard :).

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Peter well done young one, good luck on your travels and try and keep us posted. I met a young American last year who had trekked the globe and he reckoned Mongolia was his favourite, he said don,t go flash though. He also got wrestled by the head of the house after pulling his sleeves up to wash his hands, apparently rolling up the sleeves is a challenge for wrestling match. Good luck pal.

phil

May 28, 2011
Chelmsford, Essex
Peter well done young one, good luck on your travels and try and keep us posted. I met a young American last year who had trekked the globe and he reckoned Mongolia was his favourite, he said don,t go flash though. He also got wrestled by the head of the house after pulling his sleeves up to wash his hands, apparently rolling up the sleeves is a challenge for wrestling match. Good luck pal.

phil

What happens if you just wear a t-shirt then ?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...and perhaps invest in clothes/brands/rucksacks when you get there rather than buy all your stuff more expensively in the UK?...and not knowing the language..."

Don't overburden yourself with gear before traveling, buy your clothing locally, except for boots, buy the best pair you can and look for previous threads here for advice on choosing the best for you (this counts for rucksacks too).

There is no excuse for not knowing at least some of the languages you will encounter, ten to fifteen words and phrases at a minimum, folks appreciate that you are making the effort, even if they haven't a clue what you are saying.

Have fun, post photos and stories.

:)

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Don't wear flashy kit, don't take an expensive watch or camera. The rougher you look (within reason :) ), the less you will attract attention.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
When my father went to Tunisia he was advised to dress like the locals.

(big brown robe, which sounds rather fetching, doesnt it?)

I have no idea if he did or didnt, but he didnt have any trouble

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
I wouldn't worry too much about trying to dress like the locals since (I'm guessing you're white European) you're going to stand out anyway. Just don't dress like a rich tourist. Trousers/jeans and nicely worn-in shirt is pretty much standard attire in most places around the world. Just try to not have too much shiny new stuff.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
As others have said, buy local, and get local advice if possible. In some places wearing the wrong kind of clothes or colours may get you in serious bother.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE