Kittila Finland 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
That's what I was thinking. I checked another site which offered anew extended forecast and it's meant to be warming up for the week we go. Gutted.

Dont worry too much mate. the forecast is generally only accurate for the next 4 days. A week ago karasjok forecast was for -13 this weekend. It was -42 yesterday

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Dont worry too much mate. the forecast is generally only accurate for the next 4 days. A week ago karasjok forecast was for -13 this weekend. It was -42 yesterday

+1. Completely disregard anything after 4-5 days presently. This current weather pattern is as unpredictable as it gets.

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Well...it got to -40 in Lapland ...so some cold weather training is in promise..:D They they are experiencing lovely sunny days which with a snow is really bright conditions..loooovely..and doesn't feel that cold neither in a day time.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Just made an ice chisel so we can get through the ice and have a go at fishing. It's designed to be used with a pole cut from the forest. The lanyard holes are to prevent us from losing it if it becomes detached from the pole.

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Hmm...I suspect that ice chisel is not going to be efficient enough for the job...the ice can be that thick that you'll be spending best part of the day getting though with that.
You might be able to borrow 'kaira' http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A4%C3%A4kaira....spiral 'ice drill' that is used to cut round hole into lake and fishing done through the hole. Once you have the round hole...if you need the hole any bigger, then that chisel might be ok..though axe would do the job too.

Last edited:

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Hmm...I suspect that ice chisel is not going to be efficient enough for the job...the ice can be that thick that you'll be spending best part of the day getting though with that.
You might be able to borrow 'kaira'....spiral 'ice drill' that is used to cut round hole into lake and fishing done through the hole. Once you have the round hole...if you need the hole any bigger, then that chisel might be ok..though axe would do the job too.

We know that buddy, its more for a bit of fun. I'm pretty sure we wont be able to borrow an auger were we are going. Hopefully we will find a spot that is thin enough to break through but strong enough to walk on.

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Ah..fun it will be..;)
I suspect you won't be short of 'strong enough to walk on' ice...natural springs and fast moving streams are your only options for 'thin enough' for this time of the year. The thickness of the ice on larger amounts of water is around 0.5 metre.
I hope you enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
ice chisal.jpeg i think we will do it if we take it in turns.And if the Innuit can with a bone chisle maby we can with a metal one:) ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE