(Ceggas picture)

PS

WOW

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure if that is one of Ceggas to be honest (looks like his work though)

However you want to see his damascus axes (and his damascus gun barrels come to that)

Known to make a grown man write a letter to Santa :)

Red

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
On a recent post about the role of the "big knife" I mentioned that I became more convinced about "big knives" by my preferences in the kitchen (I have a large triangular 10" bladed Sabatier chefs knife that I use for most kitchen chores.

A fascinating book is Kitchen Confidential, by Anthony Bourdain, which spills the beans on real cheffing and all of the ghastly goings on at the coal face in commercial kitchens. Between the sex and drugs and rock and roll, Bourdain devotes a short chapter of his book to practical advice on 'How to Cook like the Pros'. He spurns kitchen 'knife sets' as a gimmicky waste of time: intended primarily to part amateur aspirant cooks from their money. Bourdain states that almost all kitchen knife chores can be accomplished using just a big French chef's knife. A 10" Sabatier would fit the bill nicely (though Bourdain's preference is for Global).

Burnt Ash

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm so glad it's not just me :eek:

I was caught de-seeding the last of the chillis recently witha full size chef's knife - point, slit, chop flip, slice, slice, slice - one tool for the whole job! I tend to use a mora for "tight" peeling and paring (root ginger etc.) But beyond that, a triangular chefs knife works on almost everything :eek:

Red

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I slept on it overnight and came to the conclusion that I couldn't resist a SM no1 blade! :D

I must admit that I can't see a kitchen knife in 01 working - but the profile is fantastic - I wonder if he'll do a run in stainless. If it weren't in 01 (which personally I don't like) I'd be in there.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
I must admit that I can't see a kitchen knife in 01 working - but the profile is fantastic - I wonder if he'll do a run in stainless. If it weren't in 01 (which personally I don't like) I'd be in there.

Good point. But I'd raise one to the glory of the patina!

Same reply as on BB mate...

Never say never, about the stainless run, but, even if it were to happen, it'd be a long way in the future...

All my own kitchen knives are stainless, but, I am quite looking forward to using one of these myself, I'm looking forward to how it will look, next Christmas, not this one beating on out doors at the minute, I'm looking forward to how it looks used but cared for, money can't buy that look it'll get over time, you are 100% on the button mayfly :)

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
I'm so glad it's not just me :eek:

I was caught de-seeding the last of the chillis recently witha full size chef's knife - point, slit, chop flip, slice, slice, slice - one tool for the whole job! I tend to use a mora for "tight" peeling and paring (root ginger etc.) But beyond that, a triangular chefs knife works on almost everything :eek:

Red

Actually, the only other knives Bourdain mentions are 1) a flexible boning knife (redundant if your butcher does that for you); 2) a paring knife (for small fiddly 'microsurgery' stuff) and 3) an offset serrated knife (essentially, a scalloped edge bread knife, with the line of the handle above the line of the blade).

For what it's worth, I really enjoy using a very sharp Chinese cleaver from time-to-time and I would hate to be in a kitchen that lacked a really good quality swivel peeler. The breadth of blade on a French chef's knife is too great (too much drag) to make it ideal for carving, so I do like a proper long and narrow-bladed carver. Wires for cheese.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE