Kitchen Knives

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On a recent post about the role of the "big knife" I mentioned that I became more convinced about "big knives" by my preferences in the kitchen (I have a large triangular 10" bladed Sabatier chefs knife that I use for most kitchen chores.

Anyway I wondered if anyone around makes kitchen knives as well as "bush knives" and had a nosy on British Blades.

The answer is yes! There seems to be quite a few. This particularly caught my eye

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47278

A stu mitchell blade for £50! :eek: . If I wasn't such a klutz in the workshop, I'd put a handle on that and probably use it more than any of my other knives :eek:

I do use moras in the kitchen (best paring and utility knife there is) and I often use my Flyssa for carving since its like a razor. I also have "game prep" skinning knives but I've never thought of getting proper kitchen knives made. Does anyone else do that?

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Some of the first knives I made were for kitchen not field use and some more recent ones that I have made look more Bushy than Kitchen but were designed for domestic use...Goucho Knives look like Sabatier knives, but are for field use - where do kitchen knives stop being kitchen knives and become field knives.
If you say in a field kitchen I will get annoyed:D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now thats an interesting thought and pretty astute actually John. The old US "mountain man" knives were often butchers knives too. I often take my flyssa or even a Saabtier in a towel when out and about. Carving a roast, chopping veg etc needs a longer knife I find.

I really like using a proper triangular knife for food prep. Hadn't considered having one made into a Gaucho knife though - what an excellent thought!

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you look at the knives the Native American Warriors (Red Indians) used to fight the Western migration of European/Scandinavian imperialist cattle drovers (Cowboys) you will see that a great many were Butcher knives....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Iain,

I'm still waiting for my next two of stu's though :eek: Surely three would be greedy? Actually part of this was what prompted the "beater and biter" thread. I do find a larger knife handy for so many things - not as a "big macho weapon" but anyone who has spit roasted a haunch or whatever knows a 4" knife is a bit too short. Even just slicing bread (and, yes, done that with a laplander :eek:), chopping veg etc. I use a 10" knife for all of that at home.

I must admit, if I'd seen those blades before starting the beater and biter project, I would have been sorely tempted! Actually, I still am!

Red

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
all of the knives that get used in our kitchen are made by me :) sorry, I lie. We have a little Richards 'fusion' (the crap steel ones with a rough ceramic? coating on one side at the edge) and we use it for things that require a rough edge and a fine point. All of the others though are 8-12".

Here are a couple of em:
blackpalmmed.jpg

mykithenmed.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oooh yum - like the bottom one particularly - thats kinda what I though could be made out of those blades!

Very nice indeed

Red

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
How big is that bottom one Dave?

Nice thread Red, I like kitchen knives :)

all of the knives that get used in our kitchen are made by me :) sorry, I lie. We have a little Richards 'fusion' (the crap steel ones with a rough ceramic? coating on one side at the edge) and we use it for things that require a rough edge and a fine point. All of the others though are 8-12".

Here are a couple of em:
blackpalmmed.jpg

mykithenmed.jpg

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd have one of those blades in a flash, but I'm skint at the moment. I have a SM No2 bushcraft knife. I wasn't confident at the time, so got Stu to handle it for me - excellent chap to deal with. I also bought a No3 blade and handled that myself. That's making an excellent kitchen utility knife and I've no doubt this latest blade will be a fantastic kitchen cutter.

With regard to kitchen knives - the Nessmuk style is very similar to traditional butcher blades.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
a few years ago Wille Sunqvist, myself and wife Nicola (Dr spoon) and our Swedish freind Laila had a tour of the frosts factoryin Mora with the owners. At the end they gave our children a small knife each then gave Nicola and Laila (two of the most talented woodcraft knife users I know) a big kitchen knife each. They were both seriously afronted but we kept the knife and it has proved to be the single most used blade in our household. far better than our big sabatier...though perhaps not as pretty. Here's a pic of the not pretty but superb Frost and the sabtier we choose it over every time.

knives.e.jpg

i have a number of Global Knives which are all very Good

but the one i use most is the 20cm Veg chopper (btm one obviously :D )
axeonion.jpg

its the depth of blade so you can easily slice up stuff with out your knucles bangin on the board :D i guess its like a chefs knife but the pointy bit snapped off
I also like but havent got one the Chinese Choppers which are larger like thin light weight Meat cleavers

i often look at them as ideas for Bushy knives and they do have similarities i have one that has a lot of similaraty to Reds PFK

UK bush knives do seem to be beefed up kitchen cutters

but i think is i did ever need to get any more Kitchen Knifes it would be Custom made and stainless Damascus in a set of 3 or 4 matched etc etc

ATB

Duncan

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
I have my name down for one of Stu's knives. Its good to hear there are other klutzes that wouldnt try to finish the knife. Stu will do it for me, it will cost a bit extra but I know it will be worth it.

Oh hi by the way First post!!!!!:bandit:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi shocks - welcome aboard

Repeat after me "its only one, Its not a habit, I can stop any time I like" :D

Red

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I was tempted to get a 'number one' myself (already have a 'number 2' - don't ask!) but couldn't justify another knife for the kitchen!

If you want one made up Hugh, it would be a pleasure mate! ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah - in my case Graham it isn't a question of "own two" its a question of "waiting for two MORE to be delivered :eek:"

Although I may weaken ;) Especially if he does a larger one :D

Red

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I know exactly what you mean mate! :eek: - Shhhh our little secret right! ;) :lmao:

The offers there mate if you change your mind though!:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE