Kitchen knife handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
More show and tell, whether it's meant for this forum or 'edged tools' I'm not sure but here it is.
Just finished putting a new handle on my dad's kitchen knife, given to him for his wedding 36 years ago.
Yew is an amazing wood, just beautiful and so easy to get smooth, finished it with Danish oil.

A question does spring to mind now, does anyone readkng know how I would make a knife handle dishwasher safe?

b9531e279954a8c6f13e0c6077d0110e.jpg

6efcb39eeecc23c79b73caaca696ef5f.jpg

Thanks for looking

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great work. That is a thing of beauty. I would think after a few coats of Danish oil it would stanf up to a dishwasher pretty well so long as your glue holds.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Lovely handling job!
If you want a dishwasher safe handle you should make it from plastic, and I'm not sure all plastics are suitable, as dishwasher powders are very caustic. I think that people with high end kitchen knives won't ever put them in the dishwasher, as the caustic environment will affect the edge.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Don't put it in the dishwasher..... the heat in there will ruin any glue you have use to help hold the handle on and it will do the wood no good at all.

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
no, no ,no to the dishwasher, my wife has ruined many a good kitchen knife by putting it, them in, wash by hand it doesn,t take long after all and gives you a chance to check it over as you wash!

ship

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you would need to use stabilised wood,but even then it could be affected by the heat...

and yes no good knife should go into a dishwasher, the salt corrodes the blade even stainless steel....

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Guess I'll make sure they don't put any more knives in the dishwasher then :) thanks all for the replies.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The only "dishwasher" in our house is the wife!
Those awful machines that spread the crud off your pans onto everything else whilst "washing " them will never grace my house!
We use a fair bit of wood in utensils and bowls that the darn thing would be idle half the time any way...
Wash wooden implements by hand and dry them where the water will drain away easily - not handle down in a cutlery drainer (as my wife does...) nor - for a knife - point down as this is bad for the tip of the knife...
I tend to dry wooden implements by the side of the Rayburn, placed horizontally and turned a couple of times to ensure water does not puddle under them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Muddypaws got it right: dishwasher cleaners are quite caustic.
Me? I'd like to run _everything_ through the diswasher but as JF
notes, some things are just better done by hand. The Hello of that
is a couple of my favorite kitchen prep knives.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
ye gods what's wrong with using your hands. i can't believe people actually buy ''dishwashers''.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The technique for making a knife dishwasher safe is quite sophisticated and arduous.

Don't put in in the kin dishwasher. There, that's sorted then.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I quite enjoy accomplishing two things at once.
Handwashing plates, glassware and cutlery is not something that I need to do.
Plus,
a) it is an easily demonstrated fact that the machine uses less water than hand washing.
b) I don't hesitate to wash really mucky, greasy tools in there, stove hood vent screens,
electric fan propellors, deep fry pots, etc.
c) both of mine are rolling portables which attach to the sink tap. That gives me the luxury of using the
hot exhaust water a second time to pre-wash a particular stubborn pot mess.

Really nice work mate!
If you want to use it in the dishwasher for the next handle take into consideration a piece of Corian (in any color you like)+ 2 Corby rivets - it is 100% safe and if fitted properly it will last a lifetime :D

All the best!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE