My first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
I thought that some of you guys might be interested to see this knife that I've made. It's taken me a while (probably 20-odd hours over a period of eight months or so). The design is one of my own, and it's a small bushcraft knife with a Scandinavian grind. I used O1 tool steel for the blade,the bevel of which was shaped using the filing (stock removal) method. A friend who works as a millwright hardened and tempered the blade for me to RC58. The scales were made from a piece of teak that I was given, and I turned the pins from brass bar stock. The handle is finished in Danish oil.

It's not perfect, by any stretch, but I learned a lot during the process. I'm hoping to use this knowledge in the making of some more knives that I've designed.

Anyway, some pictures (sorry for crap quality of the images):

The blade and tang being roughed out:
stock_removal.jpg

The blade and tang roughed out and holes for pins and weight reduction drilled:
drilled_tang.jpg

roughed_out.jpg

After hardening and tempering:
Post_hardening.jpg

Brass stock being turned into pins:
pins.jpg

Finished article:
Finished_1.jpg

finished_2.jpg

finished_3.jpg

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers,

Jackroadkill

Reactions: Sparky415

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
Thanks guys. There are a few things I'd do differently if I were to make the same knife again, but on the whole I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I guess a pipe cleaner will do the job!

Beautiful knife. Did you rehandle it?

Most pro kitchen knives have a polymer handle, without joins for hygienic reasons.

Last edited:

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
Thank you
Janne
Yes I re-profiled a broken tip and replaced damaged scales with micarta and copper pins (10mm and 16mm electrical through crimps if I remember rightly )

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A nice result for sure!
Nice to hear I am not the only one sourcing my materials from various unlikely sources!

You ended up with a Santoku looking blade!
And I like the way you rounded off the inner edge of the tubes.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I guess a pipe cleaner will do the job!

Beautiful knife. Did you rehandle it?

Most pro kitchen knives have a polymer handle, without joins for hygienic reasons.

You can buy bottle brushes in small bore sizes. I've got one in the kitchen that would be ideal for those pins. Fine for cleaning knives at home but like you said before not so great in the field.

I'm not sure why I like hollow pins so much. I can't see me ever wanting to strap a knife to a stick or anything but I just like the look of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE