Kit thats come and gone ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
My sincerest apologies (not) who you calling young

Dijon goes well on grilled fish but I like it on corned beef
Definately English on roast beef

Any way I always thought the idea of mustard was that it was supposed to add to the flavour not overpower it
Besides if youve ever tried the French version of. Pork and cabbage TRULY REVOLTING. Similar to frog spawn
spent some time backpacking France. they haven't a clue how to do English grub

You need flagellation for that comment young man.

Dijon, French mustards in general have their culinary place, ideal as an introduction to real mustard for children sort of thing, good on a hot dog, OK in some sauces etc but the idea of using them with the likes of roast beef is an abhorrent concept in my humble opinion.

Coleman's with my beef this evening:cool:

You are right about fried spam though:D

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
My sincerest apologies (not) who you calling young

Dijon goes well on grilled fish
English on roast beef

Any way I always thought the idea of mustard was that it was supposed to add to the flavour not overpower it
Besides if youve ever tried the French version of. Pork and cabbage TRULY REVOLTING.
spent some time backpacking France. they haven't a clue how to do English grub

Why in the world do you imagine that the French, of all people, should want to "do" English grub? Any more than we British need to "do" French grub? I venture to guess that the few French people interested in our cuisine would be very capable of cooking it, in the same way as most half-way decent British cooks can produce perfectly acceptable French food; I think that by and large we are both perfectly happy with the cuisines that have evolved to suit what's available in the two different countries.

Vive la differance! :)

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
I never said they did I actually like French cuisine

I was commenting on the European food aisle found that that pork n cabbage in the EU food aisle in a French superstore
In.reality I find most British foods rather bland (im English BnB ) but enjoy foreign cuisine

Vive La Republique !!!!!!

Why in the world do you imagine that the French, of all people, should want to "do" English grub? Any more than we British need to "do" French grub? I venture to guess that the few French people interested in our cuisine would be very capable of cooking it, in the same way as most half-way decent British cooks can produce perfectly acceptable French food; I think that by and large we are both perfectly happy with the cuisines that have evolved to suit what's available in the two different countries.

Vive la differance! :)

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Grow your own man - hand threshed and winnowed

I'm no gardener but I would like to try home made mustard. I made sure to put "colemans" in my post just so folk knew I didn't mean those nasty, cheapo, sweet tasting "chefs larder" type mustardsYou get in a lot of restaurants...really, really detest that stuff

I do like my colemans but I wouldn't be surprised if homemade is nicer......probably a hard question to answer, but how does the flavour compare?

homemade Horseradish has been on my to do list for a very long time too....just never seem to get around to it

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Home made mustard is superb - easy to grow, and easy to make. At its most basic, grind some seed to make mustard flour, add a liquid with keeping qualities (wine, vinegar, spirits), add some whole grain if you like, mix, done.

You need flagellation for that comment young man.

Dijon, French mustards in general have their culinary place, ideal as an introduction to real mustard for children sort of thing, good on a hot dog, OK in some sauces etc but the idea of using them with the likes of roast beef is an abhorrent concept in my humble opinion.

Coleman's with my beef this evening:cool:

You are right about fried spam though:D

Greetings from France Rik!

One thing they do well here is grading their mustard by strength - kind of like the Korma, Madras, Vindaloo scale of British curries. One thing I missed, for a long time, was a thick roast ham sandwich smothered in Colemans...until I found Amora (French Colemans equivalent) 'Fine et Forte' (smooth and strong) - it has the consistency and the eye watering, nose smarting piquancy of Colemans, combined with the tang of traditional French mustard. It's an absolute winner in my book.

As for beef...(which they are genuinely hopeless at - for all their culinary genius!) - where can I find some British horseradish!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Mustard on fish!? Now that sounds well and truly revolting. Can't you afford a proper remoulade? Or don't you have the recipe?

You really haven't lived until you've had a fresh, and I mean fresh, Mackrel or Herring grilled with mustard; sublime! the mustard goes so well with the oily fish, as does rhubarb, goosgogs etc., almost any acid or astringent fruit...................Food of the gods :)

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Unfortunately we didn't have access to a decent superstore (we were some where in the middle of nowwhere in a French valley and the only "food" we had access to was whatever leftovers had been abandoned by holidaymakers
Be that half a jar of mustard
BushCraft try hiking from the Czech republic to Calais with no money

Mustard on fish!? Now that sounds well and truly revolting. Can't you afford a proper remoulade? Or don't you have the recipe?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You really haven't lived until you've had a fresh, and I mean fresh, Mackrel or Herring grilled with mustard; sublime! the mustard goes so well with the oily fish, as does rhubarb, goosgogs etc., almost any acid or astringent fruit...................Food of the gods :)

I have indeed had fresh mackerel (both King Mackerel and Spanish Mackerel) that I caught myself. Never with any sauce on them though.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
I totally agree.
I
Usually spread the mustard over the fish, lightly grill
Roasted new spuds and parsley sauce
Truly sublime om nom nom nom...
This thread is making me hungry...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

Just asked my missus, who's from great yarmouth. (for our American members) yarmouth is a seaside town a few miles away from colemans mustard factory, so if anyone should have heard of mustarding yer mackeral, its her lol

And apparently its quite popular amongst the natives....gonna have to try that as well now :D

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Popular
Mustarding yer fish is almost a tradition

Just asked my missus, who's from great yarmouth. (for our American members) yarmouth is a seaside town a few miles away from colemans mustard factory, so if anyone should have heard of mustarding yer mackeral, its her lol

And apparently its quite popular amongst the natives....gonna have to try that as well now :D

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
t2805.gif

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. I'll take your word for it. TBH I'm not overly fond of mustard on anything but ham & cheese; and rarely then.

That said, when I do eat mustard, I also prefer English mustard.

Last edited:

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire

Well as I say to my kids, if you don't like it, you're just not hungry enough. Never really liked steak and kidney pud, (steak - yes, kidney - bleurgh!) but was away once before with work, all that was left when we gat back to scoff was S&K Pud.....yum, yum!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On I'll have to throw my hat in the ring and admit to heresy! I don't really like English or French mustard, but then I don't really dig horseradish either. I do like wholegrain mustard though and it is lovely on fresh mackerel. I even use wholegrain mustard when making cheese sauces for things like macaroni cheese.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I don't know if ration packs have progressed or not but I do know that people's eating habits have changed over the years, which should be expected anyway. American army rations, for instance, now supposedly include things that we might have called "ethnic" at one time, like more Latin-American style foods, which for our purposes we will call Tex-Mex, because that's probably all it is. I don't think Chinese stir-fry vegetables are available yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. But different armies have always done things differently. At one time, the French army was expected to do all it's cooking in the field at squad level and a squad carried a whole range of different pots and pans, buckets, sacks (for ration distribution) and coffee grinders (Moulin café). The system had shortcomings under combat conditions. The Germans had their horse-drawn soup wagons, which sounds like a very interesting thing to play around with, if you had one. I doubt reproductions are available (not yet but it's probably only a matter of time).

Returning to the topic of obsolete and old fashioned gear, if I may, how about Sigg spun aluminum kettles? They were just the thing thirty years ago but are no longer made. Aluminum camp cookware is still available, especially for larger items, but for smaller, individual sized cookpots, more modern (and more expensive) materials seem to be preferred like stainless steel and titanium. And to think the last new piece of camp cookware I acquired was of tinplate!

I believe the British army was still had on limited issue those old enameled, wool-covered water bottles from the last century as late as the 1970s, if photos published in Soldier magazine are anything to go by.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE