Kit thats come and gone ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I eat Bacon Grill regularly - with fried up potatoes - but its started to come in plastic pots rather than tins.

I meant that "babies heads" were labelled as puddings rather than bacon grill :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They are selling `tulip` synthebacon in plastic tubs in Morrisons.

Seriously, who eats that stuff? The same folk who eat spam?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
me too!
t2808.gif

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow

Tis a army thing, compp rations changed content. gone are bacon burgers, beef burgers, babys heads and ehhh tinned curry.

Spam is still a good dry meal,after years of avoiding it i use it now and again for the whole heartburn aftertaste.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I rather like Spam, of the food variety, that is. To me, it's nothing more than lunch meat. No, it's not as good as a lot of other meats but it's convenient and quite palatable. Canned (tinned) corn beef is a little better. Both taste twice as good when heated. Well, better, anyway. The disadvantage of both is that they're canned goods and not exactly lightweight, although to be honest, the weight of an empty can is scarcely noticeable. So all that business of how heavy canned foods are is, you will excuse the expression, baloney, which also tastes better fried. The packaging of foods is critical.

I also happen to like what is called Deviled Ham and similar things. Deviled Ham has a strong taste to me, however, but with crackers, it makes a good snack. It also comes conveniently packaged, too. I haven't really found many cracker type foods that come packaged in a really handy way to carry around in your pack but as far as the crackers themselves go, there are several that are fairly good. I've also tried "biscuits, brown," and "biscuits, fruit filled." They're both pretty good (and almost indistinguishable) and nicely packages, too. They must be good because they're hard to find and impossible to obtain by themselves. Some people like plain old peanut butter to eat on crackers.

The older American C-rations had canned fruit cocktail that was the first to disappear if someone had a chance to go through a case a take what they wanted. But there was nothing like "steak and kidney pudding." Not even close! But C-rations have come and gone, to be sure.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must admit that Bacon Grill is one of those guilty secrets that we're not supposed to own up too. But it is great on toast with brown sauce or onion jam. Same thing with hotdogs. It's a hang up from childhood when my brother and I fended for ourselves during the summer holidays. A illicit treat was saving for a can of Princes Hotdogs, and scoffing them for lunch on fresh rolls with tomato ketchup. And hiding the can before our folks got home and told us off.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Goatboy, its very ethical to eat mechanically recovered meat. The alternative is to waste that meat - and that's not ethical at all. Its only foody snobs that look down on it - take the moral high ground :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh I know, my folks were just pretty strict about what we ate and what we spent our money on. It's like sausages, most folk wouldn't want to know what went in them but they are one of lifes great pleasures, same as haggis and black pudding. We ate every scrap of something in our house. When we occasionally had something like a chicken it was picked totally clean (I love the oysters :p ) and the carcase would go back in the soup/stock pot. The guilty secret was just a reference to just those food snobs who decry the "humbles" of the meat world. I love liver, kidneys, indeed the offal is often the tastiest bit of an animal - though I cant get to like tripe; I keep trying but just cant. I think it's important to keep trying foods you didn't like as a kid, tastes change and so do cooking methods. I can now eat olives, fatty lamb, (indeed lamb & mutton is now a favourite) and a fair few other things I wasn't keen on as a kid. I still cant get my head (jaws) around Brussels sprouts and raw celery though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Nowt wrong with spam, cold, fried, battered, diced into salad et al.

You best keep out of Lidl Tengu, they sell this now (and its not bad)

20141108_155745 (Medium).jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must admit I never had corned beef 'till I left home as my mother wouldn't allow it in the house due to childhood food poisoning (I do like a corned beef sarnie) but the chopped ham was the usual meat in her version of risotto - though the name was one of the few similarities to the dish she served. But a tin of spam or chopped pork was the "treat" in the rice; though I preferred the peas! If there'd been a chicken in the week then little morsels of this would be in there instead, topped off with a splash of Lea & Perrins!

Talking of the Polish section in shops, they quite often do little tinfoil tubs of pressed meat that are pretty light and good for packing along when out.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have trouble eating corned beef - after the horrible stuff we had as rations in Ghana .. it was so greasy and the climate so hot you poured it out of the tin!
Revolting!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have trouble eating corned beef - after the horrible stuff we had as rations in Ghana .. it was so greasy and the climate so hot you poured it out of the tin!
Revolting!
Oh yeah, definitely not a hot weather snack. Though it is good as a corned beef hash - gives me terrible heartburn though.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
We couldn't afford fancy stuff like proper sliced ham sliced turkey so Corned beef, spam was common in out house (spam in a post). Found it quite usefull for.making thick soups and scotch broth a little.less boring....

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Revolting!

Oh yeah, definitely not a hot weather snack. Though it is good as a corned beef hash - gives me terrible heartburn though.

Have you ever eaten a true corned beef? Not the tinned stuff, but a proper corned beef brisket that you slice (or even the slices themselves from the deli section)

http://cajunchefryan.rymocs.com/images/CornedBeefSliced.gif

They type you'd use to make a Reuben Sandwich (thin slice corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and thousand island dressing on rye bread; all served warm)

T
2839.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE