Kit recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Hi everyone hope everyone doing well, i have been a member a while but not been on in ages as had daughter 10 months ago but getting back to normal now so want to try get into bushcraft and hiking etc , i started a kit a while ago and purchased a british army arctic sleeping bag and laplander saw and mat and small colman stove etc but want to get better kit and firstly need a decent rucksack , really like the 511 rush 24 bag , it will be used for day hikes but also want it ready for when go camping , will everything fit in and on the outside ? Also have a vango banshee 200 tent but eventually want a tarp and bivvy set up but just starting out, any opinions or pictures of your rush bag would be great to give me idea of size etc and it fits everything

Also need recomendations of a smaller sleeping bag, the arctic one i purchased from here and is lovely and warm but huge so wany a smaller one for warmer weather any recomendations welcome

And lastly been looking at cook systems lots of people seem to use nalgene bottle and cup and lots of reviews on pathfinder bottle and nesting cup any opinions on that is it thick and good quality, do people use bottle for water and boiling and cup for food ?

Sorry about all questions just keen to get out there and maybe meet some of you from the forum any opinions welcome
Thanks dean

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Can't help you on the bag. I use a generic 120 long back that was about £40 and to be honest it serves me fine. You can put a little in a big bag but can't put a lot in a small bag.
On tarp and bivvy have you considered joining we tree dwellers? Great cheap hammocks out there now and a tarp, you can pick them up for a fiver anywhere that will keep you dry. If you want an absolute top quality canvas one hit up Ian (bilmo) his work is incredible and am still trying to convince SWMBO I NEED one of his new bedrolls. A bedroll will also negate your need for a sleeping bag and you can get Czech surplus ones for under £20 online. I use a sleeping pod in the winter and generally a light blanket over me and an underblanket in summer in the hammock
Cooking I've had a pathfinder nester, stood on it and it bent so bought a £1 b&m bargains carabiner bottle and carabiner cup of the same price. I use the bottle to as a kettle and hasn't failed yet and they clip to the outside of my bag. Cooking pots however don't go for a cheaper option, go for a zebra or something similar. I actually use a grill. And a Tesco non stick pan with the handle cut off. Works fine for me but it's very much function over form for me.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I have a rush 24, excellent bag but not enough room for an arctic bag in there......
As far as cook systems go, maybe take a look at the hobo stove threads - wayland has an excellent setup.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I have the Rush 24, and to be honest, its more of a "manbag" than a serious daysack. I use it to hold al my bits when I go shooting, but it usually stays in the car. If you want an OD daysack, but don't want to look like a Rambo wanabe, I'd recommend the Berghaus Munro or perhaps one of the smaller Karrimor SF Sabre, either the 30, 35 or 45...

As far cook sets go, it depends want you want really. I use a Stanley Adventure Cook set. It comes with a small stainless steel pot and two heavy duty plastic cups which a lot of folks don't like, but I do. If you add a GSI stainless cup, the Stanley pot will fit nicely inside...If you search Youtube theres quite a few video reviews of the this sort of set up..

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
or perhaps one of the smaller Karrimor SF Sabre, either the 30, 35 or 45...

As far cook sets go, it depends want you want really. I use a Stanley Adventure Cook set. It comes with a small stainless steel pot and two heavy duty plastic cups which a lot of folks don't like, but I do. If you add a GSI stainless cup, the Stanley pot will fit nicely inside...If you search Youtube theres quite a few video reviews of the this sort of set up..

I have a SF30 and whilst its a great day sack I think I would struggle to get all the overnight kit in there - although I take more than necessary most times. If you had the sleeping bag on the outside then you could probably get the tarp and rest of kit inside.

Re cookset - I also have the stanley adventure set with a GSI mug and whats good about it is the lid from the stanley fits perfectly on th gsi mug. This is teamed with a trangia - although would also go very nicely with a pocket rocket gas stove (or similar). I have a a few nalgene type bottles - any of the steel/aluminium ones will do the job of a kettle.

I have a Mors pot, which I have never used -- but the billy cans already linked to would do you well.

thanks
Tim

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
I've got a sabre 45, had it for years and it's been all over with me, nice solid bag. Whilst it's true it's slightly small for anything more than a night out its easy enough to find a couple of cheap PLCE side pockets which bring it up to a 65 litre, that way you have the option of a day bag or one for a longer trip.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Bag: Have you looked at the Berghaus Munro?

Re sleeping bags: I have a pair of Mountain Hardware Lamina bags, I have the Laminina 20 for winter use, and the Lamina 35 for summer use. The 35 fits in an 8L dry bag, tho I use a 13L when size is less of an issue. The 20 has kept me warm down to -3°C (not used it when colder). The 20 has if anything been a bit on the warm side in summer. I've been using it opened out more like a quilt than as a sleeping bag.

Cook systems: Tatonka billy cans are my favourite for use on the fire. I know many favour the zebra's but I prefer the tatonka. I'll add a 1.6L to my 1.0L come next pay day. I don't really buy into the boiling water in the bottle trick. I have a 1L SS Nalgene bottle that nests with my GSI Glacier cup, but I would rather just use the bottle to hold water, rather than boil it. That said I find the bottle too heavy and instead have taken to using the Evernew water pouches instead.

Bivvi bag: I used a British Army Goretex bivvi bag for a while, but have just upgraded to an Alpkit Hunka. It's lighter, and should perform as well. 50 quid for the XL (I've a big butt), it's a bargain. Tarp wise, everyone on the forum will say get the DD 3x3, I think it's too big. The Army DPM basha is too heavy. I use either a miltec Flecktarn tarp (450g), or a RAB siltarp 1 (200g), depending on where I'm going.

Cheers

J

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Wow thanks for replys everyone, so first things first think i need a backpack as not using a hold all to go camping, so after reading up and looking the berghaux munro and the sabre sf is nice think prefer the karrimor sabre sf but not sure what size, also like the addition of side pouches . Are these brilliant long lasting backpacks ? The 511 does seem to small

so when u have nights out do you normally use sleeping bag and tent (thats all i have ever done) or tarp and if tarp do most ppl use bivy bag with sleeping bag inside or what ?

Will look at canteens you have all mentioned does anyone have experience with the pathfinder bottle snd cup set

Thanks so much for all your advice sl far looking forward to getting to know all you better
Dean

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
so when u have nights out do you normally use sleeping bag and tent (thats all i have ever done) or tarp and if tarp do most ppl use bivy bag with sleeping bag inside or what ?

It depends. If it's just me and I am going light, I'll take tarp + bivvi bag. Substantial snow forecast, then I prefer a tent. I use a bivvi bag with my tarps as I tend to use small tarps. To me, the bivvi bag is the main shelter, and the tarp is there to cover my head, keep out the wind, and give me a protected area to cook.

Will look at canteens you have all mentioned does anyone have experience with the pathfinder bottle snd cup set

Not used the pathfinder set, but after years of lugging my Crusader set around, I decided to get something considerably lighter. There is a fashion within bushcraft to choose heavy duty and heavy weight kit. People buy the crusader set because uncle ray uses it etc... the kit works, but it's not necessarily the best option out there. Think carefully before handing over your hard earned money.

Thanks so much for all your advice sl far looking forward to getting to know all you better
Dean

Not a problem. Lots of people here with lots of different experience. Lots to learn from. Good luck.

Julia

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
As was previously stated the rush series bags are fantastic day packs or EDC bags for all your bit and
Bobs. But they are really poor in wet weather (loads of zips and holes on base to let water out, and in!) I have a rush12 as my edc bag. They have tons of pockets and areas.

I'd recommend the Berghaus MMPS 35. It's basically a berghaus Munro with upgraded back padding and molle loops all over it. It can take side pockets and allows you to add all manners of molle pouches if u so wish. Or just clip items to it.

It has one main large compartment which holds my sleeping bag (USMC green intermediate bag) and banshee 200 tent. I usually use a tarp so gives more space for an extra bit of clothing or saves putting side pouches on.

It truly is a good bag but as with many bags it suffers from "expandability" you can add so much crap to it and make it weigh a ton. Refrain! The shoulder straps are okay when it's loaded right. Load to much and it's sore.

Failing all that mate, build a "hellcat" ALICE pack with a medium Alice pack. I use mine on longer trecks. It's a monster and can carry everything and do it very comfortably.

Seeing as I have nearly everything you have mentioned give us a shout if u want pics and I'll upload some for you.

As for a cook kit. A hobo stove (billycan / strainer combo) or the swedish trangia army mess kit. It's legendary and does everything and more a modern one will. Again. I use both!

Ps. who are you kidding about buying "a" bag. You'll have 10 this time next year :D lol

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
There was a thread a while back about why D of E's had such huge packs, and I suggested its because their sleeping bags are really big. The biggest kit you will have is your sleeping bag, a sleeping mat, a tent/tarp, and then of course the rucksack itself.

An Artic bag is huge, and that fine, but if you want a much smaller bag, your going to have to spend money (and I've also got kids, so I can only vaguely remember what money actually is...:)). My first suggestion is always to go along to your nearest Cotswolds, and get one of their Explorer More Cards http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/exploremore
Yes, its a data capture exercise, but it gives you several things. Firstly, they will knock 10% off your first purchase, and then you get a better warrenty, plus there are monthly deals (got a free mini speaker when getting daughters walking boots) and so on. However, you also get the catalogue free. Now you could just go in a grab one, but since they are offically £3, I can't be bothered in embarrasing myself trying to nick one!

Once you've got that, you can sit down with a cup of coffee and a biscuit and look at what the market is like for various kit. For sleeping bags, you can see what you get for your money in terms of season rating (always just a rough guide), how heavy it is, and how bulky. Then you can make an informed choice. The same goes for packs, although I reckon that that 24L is tiny, and I suspect something like a 45-55L is far more realistic, plus easier to use.

Down will pack the smallest, but also costs more. The cheapest good down bags (not stuff that someone has seen on Alibaba or whats in Mountain Warehouse - which will be crud) will be Alpkit https://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-bags . They have a good guide to buying bags, and if your after a summer bag, then the Pipedream 400 might be interesting. If not, one of the Rab bags is normally seen as a bit of a bench amrk, and are pretty easy to find in most stores, so you can actually try it before you buy it.

Alpkit now have a lightweight synthetic bag (Mountain Ghost), which might work for you, but its not going to compress as much down. There are loads of synthetic bags around, but I've got an old Snugpak which I've wanted to replace for a long time, and I'm going to go with down if I can.

Quixoticgeek and myself were involved in a thread about sleeping bags a while back (the people who liked that brand really liked that brand!), and that reminded me to mention the Mountain Hardware Lamina bags as well. Not only the thumbs up from Quixoticgeek (as an actual user), but great reviews generally. Unusually light for synthetic bags, considering the temp rating, and of course cheaper than down.

Once you've got your bag right (and sleeping mats are whole other discussion, but Alpkits got some decent stuff), then you'll know what sort of size rucksack you will want. Also have a look at sites like http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ - lots of stuff for gram counters. There are some very decent bags around the 45-55l mark, which will be tough but not heavy. Grabbing a Podsac bag while they are still around (the brands been sold, so once they've gone, thats it) might be a great idea http://www.podsacs.com/c/q/backpacks , with the 40-50L ones being particularly good deals.

As for bottles and stuff, I use Sigg's that I get cheap from TKMaxx, plus Naglene ones from the same place. A good book for advice is Kristin Hostetter's 'Dont Forget the Duct Tape'. Lots of advice on servicing and repairing kit (good if you find a bargain at a car boot sale, etc), and her latest book is good on what out there if you need to buy new. The older book is just a penny plus postage from Amazon new and used, and the newer one starts from £3.59.
[h=2][/h]

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Wow thanks for replys everyone, so first things first think i need a backpack as not using a hold all to go camping, so after reading up and looking the berghaux munro and the sabre sf is nice think prefer the karrimor sabre sf but not sure what size, also like the addition of side pouches . Are these brilliant long lasting backpacks ? The 511 does seem to small

Dean

I've got a Bergen in store you can have for the price of postage, I'll need to check it out first and get back to you.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Great replays thanks what store rik ? Sorry it obvious lol, also looking at the Cotswold explore more and sounds great do you have to pay to get it the benefits ?

About back packs I really like the karrimor sabre sf bag the 35l doesn't have addition of plc pouches so probably the 45l , what's different between that sf and the predator sf ? Not sure on black or olive green, anyone use these bags ?

Sleeping bags the alp kit ones look great but need to get out more before spending that is there a decent cheaper one like snugpak etc thats rolls quite small etc ?

Also I have a gerber Lmf 2 as a primary knife hope that's ok and works well but going to buy a legendary morra for prepping food etc, and will take a trip to tk max this week see if any decent bottles in , also I have a led lenser t7 but want another aaa torch similar size etc for when me and my girlfriend go camping any other recommendations of similar price etc

Thanks again

Thanks Dean

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
There was a thread a while back about why D of E's had such huge packs, and I suggested its because their sleeping bags are really big. The biggest kit you will have is your sleeping bag, a sleeping mat, a tent/tarp, and then of course the rucksack itself.

<snip>

Quixoticgeek and myself were involved in a thread about sleeping bags a while back (the people who liked that brand really liked that brand!), and that reminded me to mention the Mountain Hardware Lamina bags as well. Not only the thumbs up from Quixoticgeek (as an actual user), but great reviews generally. Unusually light for synthetic bags, considering the temp rating, and of course cheaper than down.

Just to add to what I said previously: the Laminina 20 fits into a 20L alpkit dry bag, I'm sure I could compress it a bit smaller, but it won't quite fit into the 13L bag. The Lamina 35 fits into an 8L alpkit dry bag.

This should give you an idea of how much space you need in your pack.

I know a lot of people claim that a bag of around 30L isn't enough for more than a day pack, but I disagree. My pack is a 30L Osprey Tempest(Mens version is called the Talon), that I have [thread=125755]reviewed[/thread], and discussed the [thread=125924]modifications[/thread] that I made. This bag is more than enough for a weekend trip, assuming you pack light (my pack for a summer weekend has a dry weight of just under 5kg). In winter I've been putting the big sleeping bag in a dry bag under the lid, so that I can still use the same bag. In winter the dry weight is just under 6kg.

A 45L or larger pack would be the sort of thing I look at for extended trips where you have to carry >3 days worth of food at a time. I'm currently considering a new winter pack, and am trying to decide if I really need the 60L pack, or if 45L will be enough...

Mick is right, you can put a small amount in a big bag, but you can't put a large amount in a small bag. *BUT* you have to be a little careful. If you have a large pack, it's easy to get into the mindset of carrying extra stuff "just in case". Before you know it, your pack weighs 50lb and it starts to limit what you do with your trips. I say this as the idiot that has lugged a 35kg 118L Modified Berghaus Vulcan, + PLCE webbing set across Europe...

HTH

J

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
looking at the Cotswold explore more and sounds great do you have to pay to get it the benefits ?

No, its free. Yes, its a data capture thing, but so is the Go Outdoors card, and you have to pay a fiver for that. Personally, I can't see the point of the card, since the prices with it are pretty much the same as Cotswolds, etc, except you dont need a card...:confused:

Even if you have no intention of buying from Cotswold (and if your buying online from them, their site doesn't like Firefox, as I've just found out again), its useful just to go through the catalogue, rather than trying to shuffle through loads of websites.

Quixoticgeek has an excellent point - you can go down to a smaller rucksack, but you have to get the right sort of kit to fit it for the conditions, and be pretty disciplined about packing as well. I have to admit I'm not that careful, hence the bigger bag!

is there a decent cheaper one like snugpak etc thats rolls quite small etc ?

Not really, and thats the point. You can have it light, you can have it good and you can have it cheap - choose any two. If there was a super efficient and cheap material you could make sleeping bags out of, we'd all have them, but there isn't.

Synthetic bags have their advantages, but they tend not to pack down all that small (the NH Lamina's are pretty unusual). I recently bough a Vango 3 season bag for my daughters trip away. £35 for the Nitestar is fine for her, but its pretty big and has all the compressability of a breeze block. I've had a Snugpak for years, but they are not as warm as it says on the tin, and although packs a lot better than the Vango I bought for my daughter, isn't even close to a down bag for pack size.

Buy once, buy right. You can buy a very light Snugpak sleeping bag for £40, and if that works for you, fine. But its got to work for you - if your freezing your bits off on a 2 day trip, that cheap sleeping bag isn't that cheap, and if it weighs a ton, then its not a lot of fun to carry either. Buy the best bag you can that works for what conditions your using it in. God knows there are loads of sleeping bag threads on here and Outdoor Magic, but like boots, waterproofs and rucksacks, they have to work and be comfortable. Getting something as a stopgap is a false economy - your buying twice, and that money you shelled out on the first one is money you could have put towards a decent bag in the first place. You dont have to buy PhD, but if your buying something that might just do, think of it as an opportunity cost.

Thats why you want to do your homework, because once you know the sort of thing your looking for, you can wait for the right thing to come along. For summer bags there might be decent deals coming up right now, plus of course the sort of end of line deals that come up whenever there is a range change. MH for synthetic, and Rab/ME for down would be a good start. If you can get a decent Rab down bag for the price of a decent synthetic, then you've buying much better than your budget would normally allow. And you've always got Alpkit as a benchmark price (they also do end of like stuff at their HQ).

So get your eye in, keep a lookout on the classifieds etc on this site, and on Outdoor Magic (they have a bargain thread which I always check - http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/bargain-alert/7436.html), etc. Rab has a factory shop (details on OM - just search it) which might be useful if your in the area, and Cotswold has at least one clearance place.

Ebay might come up with something, although people go a bit nuts on Ebay and end up bidding silly money for something they've never seen. And have a look at jumble/car boots sales, and what people might be selling on at work, etc. If you are familiar with the brands (including the US/European ones we dont get here), you can spot a real bargain. And dont forget places like TKMaxx. There have been reports of Berghaus Crusader packs for £100 http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/tkmaxx-watch/3362-48.html - your paying £170 or more normally, so its worth having a scout around.

As for a torch, I bought an LED Lenser AAA torch from Cotswold not that long ago - its was pretty cheap - in fact they've still got it http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/led-lenser-p5e-professional-aa-torch-E2122135?id_colour=124 . Seems fine, but I'd also recommend Romisen torches from DX. Lasted pretty well (one has just died after at least 4 years), excellent quality, and relatively cheap. Unfortunately they've got no AAA ones on DX at the moment, but this single AA one is something I've got on my shopping list http://www.dx.com/p/romisen-rc-r5-c...ht-black-1-x-aa-1-x-14500-135422#.VeWvxJezr5w . I'm sure there are lots of suggestions for torches out there , but Alpkits headtorches are well known for being great value.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
No, its free. Yes, its a data capture thing, but so is the Go Outdoors card, and you have to pay a fiver for that. Personally, I can't see the point of the card, since the prices with it are pretty much the same as Cotswolds, etc, except you dont need a card...:confused:

Cotswold also do discount for various organisation memberships, shame I can't stack all the ones I can get, cos it would get me about 50% off... Instead I have to use the 15% which is the highest single discount I'm offered.

Even if you have no intention of buying from Cotswold (and if your buying online from them, their site doesn't like Firefox, as I've just found out again), its useful just to go through the catalogue, rather than trying to shuffle through loads of websites.

A dead tree catalogue is a useful thing, it does make getting an idea of what's available much easier.

Quixoticgeek has an excellent point - you can go down to a smaller rucksack, but you have to get the right sort of kit to fit it for the conditions, and be pretty disciplined about packing as well. I have to admit I'm not that careful, hence the bigger bag!

It took me a while to get to this point. Now I know what's going into the bag and in which order. It all goes in in the reverse order to how I'll need it when out and about. So the first thing out the top is the tarp, then it's the sleep matt, then the bivvi bag, then the sleeping bag, then the liner. That just leaves a small dry bag with spare clothes (base layer and underwear only) in the bag.

Not really, and thats the point. You can have it light, you can have it good and you can have it cheap - choose any two. If there was a super efficient and cheap material you could make sleeping bags out of, we'd all have them, but there isn't.

Choose upto 2, there's a lot of cheap junk on the market too.

Synthetic bags have their advantages, but they tend not to pack down all that small (the MH Lamina's are pretty unusual). ... I've had a Snugpak for years, but they are not as warm as it says on the tin, and although packs a lot better than the Vango I bought for my daughter, isn't even close to a down bag for pack size.

Again, agreed. I had a pair of Snugpak sleeping bags for about 12 years. One for summer, one for winter. In the end the summer bag wasn't even warm enough for me in the middle of summer. It was also 150g heavier than my MH Lamina. Snugpak once set the bar for synthetic bags, alas the technology has moved on an they haven't.

Buy once, buy right. You can buy a very light Snugpak sleeping bag for £40, and if that works for you, fine. But its got to work for you - if your freezing your bits off on a 2 day trip, that cheap sleeping bag isn't that cheap, and if it weighs a ton, then its not a lot of fun to carry either. Buy the best bag you can that works for what conditions your using it in... Getting something as a stopgap is a false economy - your buying twice, and that money you shelled out on the first one is money you could have put towards a decent bag in the first place.

Total agreement. Sam vimes is right. If you look at everything you buy from this perspective, you will find your purchases tend to be better value for money.

Thats why you want to do your homework, because once you know the sort of thing your looking for, you can wait for the right thing to come along. For summer bags there might be decent deals coming up right now, plus of course the sort of end of line deals that come up whenever there is a range change. MH for synthetic, and Rab/ME for down would be a good start. If you can get a decent Rab down bag for the price of a decent synthetic, then you've buying much better than your budget would normally allow. And you've always got Alpkit as a benchmark price (they also do end of like stuff at their HQ).

Aye, I got my sleeping bags at substantial discount by buying at the right time, and finding a 15% off voucher online. To give you an indication, the -7°C, 1.5kg Laminina 20, cost me £93 just before xmas 2014. The 5°C, 1.05kg Lamina 35 cost me £85 in May.

As for a torch, I bought an LED Lenser AAA torch from Cotswold not that long ago - its was pretty cheap - in fact they've still got it http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/led-lenser-p5e-professional-aa-torch-E2122135?id_colour=124 . Seems fine, but I'd also recommend Romisen torches from DX. Lasted pretty well (one has just died after at least 4 years), excellent quality, and relatively cheap. Unfortunately they've got no AAA ones on DX at the moment, but this single AA one is something I've got on my shopping list http://www.dx.com/p/romisen-rc-r5-c...ht-black-1-x-aa-1-x-14500-135422#.VeWvxJezr5w . I'm sure there are lots of suggestions for torches out there , but Alpkits headtorches are well known for being great value.

I prefer head torches, I currently have a Petzl Zipka 2+, and a Petzl e+lite. Both are excellent torches. If I was buying now, I would also consider any of the alpkit torches, as well as the Mammut Burny, SUNREE Mini Cree, or the FENIX E01. Tho not all of these torches meet your requirement for AAA.

My preferred knife for round camp is a Svord Peasant mini. It's EDC legal, which is a major plus, and it's ideal for everything from prepping food, to even battoning fire wood.

Just googled the Gerber LMF II. It looks like it's more suited to a Rambo set than a British woodland... A Mora frost knife would be a better choice if you want a fixed knife... I have one, I use it for wood carving (until I can afford something better). For all other camp duties, the peasant comes out my pocket.

HTH

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
About back packs I really like the karrimor sabre sf bag the 35l doesn't have addition of plc pouches so probably the 45l , what's different between that sf and the predator sf ? Not sure on black or olive green, anyone use these bags ?

A suggestion: Before you decide what pack to get, write a packing list. Feel free to post it here for comment. You may find you don't need as much as you're taking, or you might have forgotten to include something. Then you can take a more informed choice on pack.

...will take a trip to tk max this week see if any decent bottles in...

Don't. Save your money. Spend a quid on a 1.25L bottle of coke (or diet coke if you prefer), drink the coke, then reuse the bottle as your water bottle. They are stronger than most soft drinks bottles, and weigh in under 50g. The cost of a sigg bottle, you may as well put towards something where the money is more useful, like a better sleeping bag. The 1.25L coke bottles nest inside a GSI Glacier cup (or tatonka folding handle cup... or any cup designed to nest round a 1L nalgene bottle...). The 1.5L and 1.75L are too big for that. The 1L isn't as snug a fit in said cups... Not that I have a collection of different sized coke bottles for use as water bottles here... noooo... moving on...

HTH

J

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great replays thanks what store rik ? Sorry it obvious lol, also looking at the Cotswold explore more and sounds great do you have to pay to get it the benefits ?

Sleeping bags the alp kit ones look great but need to get out more before spending that is there a decent cheaper one like snugpak etc thats rolls quite small etc ?

Also I have a gerber Lmf 2 as a primary knife hope that's ok and works well but going to buy a legendary morra for prepping food etc, and will take a trip to tk max this week see if any decent bottles in , also I have a led lenser t7 but want another aaa torch similar size etc for when me and my girlfriend go camping any other recommendations of similar price etc

Thanks again

Thanks Dean

Sorry Dean, its up in the loft in store, I'll check it out. It is DPM cammo. Read http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71456

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE