Kit Nostalgia....It's not what it used to be

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Good Companion Standard tent by Blacks of Greenock. Spent many a happy time in that. Even took it on my honeymoon!:camping:

Genuine Tilley lamps - Oh the smell Hmmm.

Self heating cans of soup - they were terrible!:yuck:

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
One of these puppies....??

P1010099.jpg

Yep, me too, in the pan set/case and the matching lamp - I can still remember reading the catalogue over and over before Christmas and hoping :) That must be 30 years ago - yikes!

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
I picked up two cannisters of gaz for my "Globetrotter" stove this morning, for free as the shop is clearing out some old stock, I bought the stove and pots a few weeks back for £1.50, so really happy that I can now use it even if it is for only a little while.

Also saw he had some of the double sized cannisters on the shelf, only a dozen or so, anyone got an old stove that uses them, but cannot find them?

:)

Aaargh, I can't find those 106 canisters anywhere over here! Been looking for them for some time.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Aaargh, I can't find those 106 canisters anywhere over here! Been looking for them for some time.

Sadly you probably won't find any as they are discontinued, I was lucky to find a shop that had a lot of old stuff in a back store room.:)

Yep, had one of those. Remember many memorable meals eaten just nearly warm due to there being a slight breeze. The good old days, and they say about gear geeks!

I've got about a dozen of these. Some have canister still on, all of them been outside in the weather for best part of a year. Not got round to getting rid of them. If anyone wants them, come and get them. I'm not going to get into packing them up or any form of posting or courier etc as I'm not happy about sending the "in use" screw canisters etc. Happy to pass them on to someone in the area if they need to be forwarded on the jungle drums.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
For example one bit of kit I tend to get nostalgic about is the old issue SAS / Para bergen...

image courtesy of kit monster

SAS%20Bergen.jpg

But it would be kind of fun to get one and rig the back with a bit of sleeping mat and some bungies in a vain attempt to get it comfortable.

So for me it's the SAS / Para Bergen.

What bit of kit makes you feel all nostalgic.....???

Hey Johnboy, your version of fun and mine are thankfully two very different things - I'd rather shove wasps up my backside than tab around the hills attached to one of those things again !!

Take it easy mate

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hey Johnboy, your version of fun and mine are thankfully two very different things - I'd rather shove wasps up my backside than tab around the hills attached to one of those things again !!

Take it easy mate

I know.. It was a horror to carry.... but time tends to make you forget getting rubbed raw and loosing the feeling in you fingers as the weight of it cut of the blood supply in your arms...

However dragging your doss bag from it's volumous depths was always a pleasure....

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
I know.. It was a horror to carry.... but time tends to make you forget getting rubbed raw and loosing the feeling in you fingers as the weight of it cut of the blood supply in your arms...

However dragging your doss bag from it's volumous depths was always a pleasure....

You had a doss bag ?....I feel conned mate !!

I still remember cacking myself in a lightening storm thinking I was going to be zapped to a crisp on Jacobs ladder, I'm sure them frames could pick up waves from outer space !!....looking at it Dave I bet that thing could get Radio 5 !

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I still remember cacking myself in a lightening storm thinking I was going to be zapped to a crisp on Jacobs ladder, I'm sure them frames could pick up waves from outer space !!....looking at it Dave I bet that thing could get Radio 5 !

Jacobs Ladder... I've not thought about that for quite a while.....

The same frame was used on the Clansman radios... every time I picked one of those up I always got a static shock.... So I reckon you're right about them picking up 'space waves'....

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Jacobs Ladder... I've not thought about that for quite a while.....

The same frame was used on the Clansman radios... every time I picked one of those up I always got a static shock.... So I reckon you're right about them picking up 'space waves'....

Aye, mate, funny thing is this summer the Beacons seemed to have more illegal rave and rock music at full blast across them than rain storms, really weird - seems like everyone with an asbo and a megamixbox spends the weekends in South Wales !!

Clansman radio....nostalgia kit, now we're talking !!:lmao:

Pic, just for you mate

Looking East off Pen-y-fan (Jacobs ladder to the right or Craig Cwm Sere to the locals), towards Cribyn and Fan-y-big, beyond is the plateau that we spent many nights doing navex on, pile of stones, re-entrant, water feature, ring contour, waterfall, saddle, downed bomber !!...downed what ?? was usually the response.... and so on, those were the days !!...

Take it easy

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Aye, mate, funny thing is this summer the Beacons seemed to have more illegal rave and rock music at full blast across them than rain storms, really weird - seems like everyone with an asbo and a megamixbox spends the weekends in South Wales !!

Pic, just for you mate

OOh yeah...Bloomin heavy things they were
RT352M-SMALL.jpg

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

Pic, just for you mate

Asbo??

I got back to pomgolia in 2008 and spent some time up on the Beacons.. Plenty of rain and snow in March....

DSCF2317-1.jpg

Corn Du from Pen Y Fan.

I also took a poke around what's left of the old camp in Cwm Gwdi

Happy days.....

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Asbo??

I got back to pomgolia in 2008 and spent some time up on the Beacons.. Plenty of rain and snow in March....

DSCF2317-1.jpg

Corn Du from Pen Y Fan.

I also took a poke around what's left of the old camp in Cwm Gwdi

Happy days.....

Nice, good effort mate.

Aye, Cym Gwdi is national trust now, the old nissen huts are long gone !!

Happy days, who needs kit when you've got memories !!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Did you hear about the archaeologists who got themselves thoroughly confused doing surveys down there ?
They kept finding square corners. Just corners with wee bits of wall/ trench.

Thing is square corners = Roman, and this was a *lot* of corners :confused:

Turns out that Roman squaddies had to practice building their temporary camps, and this was where they were taught to get the corners right :rolleyes:
Somethings don't change.

My first rucksack was a green canvas pack with a brute of a steel frame. I was so glad to get one of those Cobmaster ones with the Aluminium frames........except it was bright orange :eek: Well, it was the seventies :sigh: It was a disaster at keeping kit dry too.

I miss the smell of the parafin and meths we used in the Tilley's. I still like the smell of warm parafin. It just smells of comfort to me.
Oilskin, there's another smell from the past. We used it as the waterproof layer under our blankets in the pre closed cell foam mat days. Had to hollow out the ground for hips and shoulders to get comfortable enough to sleep. Fine shingle was okay, so was machair, but woods full of tree roots were a pain.
And tarry twine :) Used for everything that needed secured. Still smells like the stockholm tar they use in the boatyard :cool:

Mildew, every canvas tent had a kind of foosty smell to it, even the ones that we really did look after. Hot sunshine kind of added a cooked overtone to the smell inside the tents.

Me ? I'm glad we have mats and lightweight packs, even lighter weight tents and tarps, paracord and cat stoves,sporks and Ti mugs :D

The scents are missing though, kind of soulless

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE